Biggest collection misses/regrets?

Come discuss the toys and other memorabilia available for the series as well as to talk with other collectors!
Dinopunk
Hatchling
Favorite Jurassic Series Film: Jurassic Park
Favorite prehistoric animal in the series: Velociraptor

Biggest collection misses/regrets?

Post by Dinopunk »

Ever had a chance to pick up something cool but passed on it and kicked yourself afterwards? Or saw something you wanted but the finances weren't right at the time?

Years ago I was at a Half Price Books store and they had an autographed copy of the original Jurassic Park book on sale for $40. I couldn't quite afford the ticket price but I knew the store would be sending out their quarterly coupons soon so I figured I could wait it out and get it for 20-30% off. By the time the coupons arrived and I made it back to the store someone else had already bought the book. A few weeks later Michael Crichton passed away ensuring that the value of his autograph would shoot way up. In hindsight I should've just bought the book at $40 and put it on my charge card or something but I was trying to do the fiscally responsible thing and not, you know, start putting myself into debt over silly things.
Dinos4Ever
Co-Administrator
Favorite Jurassic Series Film: The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Favorite prehistoric animal in the series: Male Tyrannosaurus rex
Favorite Jurassic Park/World toy: Thrasher T-Rex

Re: Biggest collection misses/regrets?

Post by Dinos4Ever »

In the last Prop Store auction, 3 binders including a greens reference and location scout photos for TLW went on auction and waaaaay higher than it should have. I couldn't justify the bidding prices and had to give up on bidding.
SOMETHING HAS SURVIVED
TyrannosaurTJ
Administrator
Favorite Jurassic Series Film: Jurassic World Dominion
Favorite prehistoric animal in the series: Tyrannosaurus
Favorite Jurassic Park/World toy: Hammond Collection Tyrannosaurus rex

Post by TyrannosaurTJ »

There was an eBay auction back in 2007/2008 that I missed due to some life circumstances at the time that I really wish I would've gotten in on because it was a lot of Jurassic stuff that had marketing things and various other rare items that were clearly from someone that either worked on the production or had ties to someone that did. A lot of the stuff they showed in the lot could have definitely been used as a boost to research things for the encyclopedia.
Jason Preston
Hatchling
Favorite Jurassic Series Film: The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Favorite prehistoric animal in the series: Tyrannosaurus rex

Post by Jason Preston »

TyrannosaurTJ wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:00 pm
There was an eBay auction back in 2007/2008 that I missed due to some life circumstances at the time that I really wish I would've gotten in on because it was a lot of Jurassic stuff that had marketing things and various other rare items that were clearly from someone that either worked on the production or had ties to someone that did. A lot of the stuff they showed in the lot could have definitely been used as a boost to research things for the encyclopedia.
:o

Do you recall any specifics on the items? That fascinates me.
TyrannosaurTJ
Administrator
Favorite Jurassic Series Film: Jurassic World Dominion
Favorite prehistoric animal in the series: Tyrannosaurus
Favorite Jurassic Park/World toy: Hammond Collection Tyrannosaurus rex

Post by TyrannosaurTJ »

Not much, unfortunately, they had a few marketing VHS tapes and a couple of other bits of promotional material I thought could be helpful.
EdRegisPR
Hatchling
Favorite Jurassic Series Film: Jurassic Park
Favorite prehistoric animal in the series: Tyrannosaurus rex
Favorite Jurassic Park/World toy: All of them!

Post by EdRegisPR »

I remember as a child in seeing the Bonebreaker Carnotaurus at K-Mart for $14.99. It was the only time I ever saw it but thought it was too expensive (I don’t know why, maybe my allowance was low?). I passed on it and never saw it again after that. Luckily as an adult I was able to get it, but at a significant premium. Still, seeing that carno is like a core memory lol. I do regret missing out on things like Franklin, though, but I had no idea he had even popped up for sale and by the time I learned about it they were already sold at auction. I’m sad he never made it to mass production.