- The Geeky Zoologist
- New Member
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:29 am
- Website: https://www.deviantart.com/dihenad
As the Jurassic World film trilogy will be (relatively) soon concluded with Jurassic World: Dominion, I thought I could share with you the result of a years-length writing project of mine, consisting in two fan-novels, The Edge of Chaos and The Fallen Kingdom (to not confuse with the actual second film of the JW series), that reimagines the story and the world of the 2015 film Jurassic World by giving it the following features:
- A longer story, closer to that of an Epic (see https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EpicMovie for a definition) instead of that of a contemporary summer blockbuster. Even if it shares the basic premise of Colin Trevorrow’s film, the more the story progress, the more it diverges from it.
- A more adult and darker tone, partly inspired by that of Crichton novels. The story is more of an R-rated epic drama than a PG-13 action-adventure film and isn’t suited for younger readers. I am aware that it's written on the subforum description that we are asked to keep the stories PG-13 related but if the presence of R-rated elements in my writings poses an issue, know that I won't share any extract here but that I will use this topic just to present this duology, share news about my writings and eventually discuss about some of its aspects.
- The inclusion of several elements taken from or inspired by the Fallen Kingdom film, Crichton novels, and some of the video games.
- New prehistoric species depicted in a scientific-accurate fashion and an alternate design for the Indominus.
- An entire array of characters and subplots that weren’t in the films but helps expand the universe. In the manner of the Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones, the story is told from the point of view of several groups of protagonists and relies on interwoven subplots.
- A reworking of the current lore of the Jurassic World films. Among other things, Isla Sorna still has a healthy population of feral dinosaurs.
- An alternative park design and layout.
Here are the two novels’ synopses:
The Edge of Chaos:
After twelve years of existence, the theme park Jurassic World on Isla Nublar is thriving and a major family destination as it houses dinosaurs and other prehistoric species brought back from extinction thanks to breakthroughs in genetics made three decades earlier.
But this is not enough to satisfy the ambitions of the park’s management who announce the upcoming exhibition of the Indominus rex, a genetically designed dinosaur hybrid whose behaviour raises more and more concerns while the phantom of the Jurassic Park’s and San Diego’s incidents linger.
When the Indominus escape, the park’s staff and the troops of the Grey Guard are thrown in a race against clock to prevent the park from falling into chaos and this while ominous signs herald the imminence of another kind of danger.
The Fallen Kingdom:
Mount Sibo has erupted and the chaos that the park’s staff and the Grey Guard had sought to contain is unleashed and threatens the survival of all on the island. As Jurassic World collapses in fire and blood, that twenty thousand people wait to be evacuated and that the threat of the Indominus still lingers, the unveiling of a plot risk of worsening the disaster by starting a conflict among men already spoiled by adversity and making Isla Nublar fall further into the darkness.
With those fan-novels, I didn’t want to criticize the work done on the Jurassic World films but to offer fans and readers an alternative story, which might be appreciated in long periods between two instalments like the one we’re currently going through.
If you want to know more about the reasons behind this years-length undertaking, don't hesitate to have a look at the foreword section in the PDF.
Sequels to this duology are currently in the works but they won't be published in English before a few years I think, as I will have first to fully write them in French before starting the translation.
The duology is available to read below:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gMe0dA ... sp=sharing (PDF version; contains both novels)
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12945239/1/Jurassic-World (fanfiction.net version ; TEC spans from chapter 1 to 68; and TFK from chapter 69 to 145)
https://archiveofourown.org/works/20436878 (Ao3 version; TEC spans from chapter 1 to 69 ; and TFK from chapter 70 to 146)
For a more comfortable reading experience, I advise you to read the PDF version of the story but those on Fanfiction.net and Ao3 includes hypothetical casting in the author’s notes sections, which might be handy to better imagine some of the characters I created or modified. But instead of having you to browse all over the chapters to find these, I think it will be better if I put the hypothetical casting list down below (tell me if you want me to do this).
Let me know down below what you think of The Edge of Chaos and The Fallen Kingdom.
I wish you a good and enjoyable reading experience.
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:20 pm
- Location: Canton, Ohio, United States
- Website: http://www.jurassic-pedia.com/