“Fifteen years ago, John Hammond had a dream.” — Peter Ludlow, February 23, 1997
This is a comprehensive summary of all events that occurred in the film canon universe (S/F), including those depicted or described in the films, canon websites, Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous, Jurassic World Live, and The Evolution of Claire. The timeline also includes information given by supplementary material including but not limited to Jurassic Park: The Game and Jurassic Park Adventures: Survivor. It also includes real-life events which are significant to the film canon in order to provide context.
- 2.7 BYA: Earliest known cyanobacteria have evolved by this time.1
Cambrian Period: Fortunian Age
- 541 MYA: Earliest known jellyfish (Medusozoa) have evolved by this time.
Late Ordovician Period: Katian Age
- 450 MYA: Earliest known horseshoe crabs (Limulidae) have evolved by this time.
Early Devonian Period: Lochkovian Age
- 413 MYA: Pneumodesmus evolved and became extinct around this time.
Early Devonian Period: Pragian Age
- 409 MYA: Earliest known coelacanths (Coelacanthiformes) have evolved by this time.
Permian Period: Sakmarian Age
- 295 MYA: Dimetrodon has evolved by this time.
Permian Period: Roadian Age
- 272 MYA: Dimetrodon becomes extinct after this time.
Early Triassic Period: Induan Age
- 251.3 MYA: Chaohusaurus has evolved by this time.
Early Triassic Period: Olenekian Age
- 247.2 MYA: Chaohusaurus becomes extinct after this time.
Middle Triassic Period: Anisian Age
- 247 MYA: Mixosaurus has evolved by this time.
- 242 MYA: Mixosaurus becomes extinct after this time.
Middle Triassic Period: Ladinian Age
- 231.4 MYA: Herrerasaurus evolved and became extinct around this time.
Late Triassic Period: Carnian Age
- 235 MYA: The earliest known nautilus (Nautilidae) has evolved by this time.
Late Triassic Period: Norian Age
- 226 MYA: Mosquitoes (Culicidae) may have evolved by this time.
Early Jurassic Period: Hettangian Age
- 199.6 MYA: Plesiosaurus has evolved by this time.
Early Jurassic Period: Sinemurian Age
- 199 MYA: Lesothosaurus has evolved by this time.
- 195 MYA: Dimorphodon has evolved by this time.
- 193 MYA: Dilophosaurus evolved and became extinct around this time.
- 190 MYA: Dimorphodon becomes extinct after this time.
Early Jurassic Period: Pliensbachian Age
- 189 MYA: Lesothosaurus becomes extinct after this time.
- 183 MYA: Segisaurus evolved and became extinct around this time.
Early Jurassic Period: Toarcian Age
- 175.6 MYA: Plesiosaurus becomes extinct after this time.
Middle Jurassic Period: Bathonian Age
- 165 MYA: Proceratosaurus evolved and became extinct around this time. Ophthalmosaurus has evolved by this time.
- 164.7 MYA: The genus of trees, Araucaria, has evolved by this time.
Late Jurassic Period: Oxfordian Age
- 160 MYA: Mamenchisaurus has evolved by this time. Metriacanthosaurus evolved and became extinct around this time. Ophthalmosaurus becomes extinct after this time.
Late Jurassic Period: Kimmeridgian Age
- 156.3 MYA: Brontosaurus has evolved by this time.
- 155 MYA: Allosaurus and Stegosaurus have evolved by this time.
- 154 MYA: Diplodocus, Elaphrosaurus, and Brachiosaurus have evolved by this time.
- 153 MYA: Ceratosaurus and Coelurus have evolved by this time. Brachiosaurus becomes extinct after this time.
Late Jurassic Period: Tithonian Age
- 152 MYA: Diplodocus becomes extinct after this time. Apatosaurus has evolved by this time.
- 151 MYA: Apatosaurus becomes extinct after this time.
- 150.8 MYA: Compsognathus has evolved by this time.
- 150 MYA: Allosaurus, Elaphrosaurus, Coelurus, and Stegosaurus become extinct after this time. Giraffatitan has evolved by this time.
- 148 MYA: Ceratosaurus becomes extinct after this time.
- 146.8 MYA: Brontosaurus becomes extinct after this time.
- 145 MYA: Mamenchisaurus and Giraffatitan become extinct after this time.
Early Cretaceous Period: Berriasian Age
- 140 MYA: Compsognathus becomes extinct after this time.
Early Cretaceous Period: Hauterivian Age
- 130 MYA: Baryonyx and Concavenator have evolved by this time. Hoplitosaurus evolves and becomes extinct around this time.
Early Cretaceous Period: Barremian Age
- 126 MYA: Iguanodon has evolved by this time.
- 125 MYA: Baryonyx becomes extinct after this time. Suchomimus has evolved by this time.
Early Cretaceous Period: Aptian Age
- 115 MYA: Deinonychus and Tenontosaurus have evolved by this time.
Early Cretaceous Period: Albian Age
- 113 MYA: Iguanodon becomes extinct after this time.
- 104.46 MYA: Peloroplities has evolved by this time.
- 112 MYA: Suchomimus becomes extinct after this time. Spinosaurus has evolved by this time.
- 108 MYA: Deinonychus and Tenontosaurus become extinct after this time.
Late Cretaceous Period: Cenomanian Age
- 99 MYA: Fossil evidence of ticks is known from this time period, but they likely evolved earlier.
- 98.37 MYA: Peloroplities becomes extinct after this time.
- 98 MYA: Giganotosaurus has evolved by this time.
- 97 MYA: Giganotosaurus becomes extinct after this time.
- 95 MYA: Rugops evolved and became extinct around this time.
Late Cretaceous Period: Turonian Age
- 93.5 MYA: Spinosaurus becomes extinct after this time.
- 90 MYA: Microceratus evolved and became extinct around this time. Aucasaurus has evolved by this time.
- 88 MYA: Geosternbergia has evolved by this time.
- 86.5 MYA: Tylosaurus has evolved by this time.
Late Cretaceous Period: Santonian Age
- 86 MYA: Pteranodon and Viavenator have evolved by this time.
- 84.5 MYA: Pteranodon becomes extinct after this time.
Late Cretaceous Period: Campanian Age
- 83.5 MYA: Protoceratops has evolved by this time.
- 83 MYA: Aucasaurus and Viavenator become extinct after this time.
- 82 MYA: Deinosuchus has evolved by this time.
- 80.5 MYA: Hadrosaurus has evolved by this time. Geosternbergia becomes extinct after this time.
- 80 MYA: Nipponosaurus evolves and becomes extinct around this time.
- 79 MYA: Quilmesaurus has evolved by this time.
- 78.5 MYA: Hadrosaurus becomes extinct after this time.
- 77.5 MYA: Troodon, or the dinosaurs once considered Troodons, evolved by this time.
- 77 MYA: Corythosaurus, Agujaceratops, and Teratophoneus have evolved by this time.
- 76.5 MYA: Parasaurolophus has evolved by this time.
- 76.4 MYA: Euoplocephalus and Kosmoceratops have evolved by this time.
- 76 MYA: Nasutoceratops has evolved by this time. Teratophoneus becomes extinct after this time.
- 75.9 MYA: Kosmoceratops becomes extinct after this time.
- 75.7 MYA: Corythosaurus becomes extinct after this time.
- 75.6 MYA: Euoplocephalus becomes extinct after this time.
- 75.5 MYA: Troodon, or the dinosaurs once considered Troodons, became extinct after this time. Styracosaurus has evolved by this time. Nasutoceratops becomes extinct after this time.
- 75 MYA: Tylosaurus and Styracosaurus become extinct after this time. Velociraptor has evolved by this time. Dreadnoughtus evolves and becomes extinct around this time.
- 73.5 MYA: Sinoceratops evolves and becomes extinct around this time. Pachyrhinosaurus has evolved by this time.
- 73 MYA: Deinosuchus and Parasaurolophus become extinct after this time. Edmontosaurus has evolved by this time.
Late Cretaceous Period: Maastrichtian Age
- 72 MYA: Carnotaurus has evolved by this time.
- 71 MYA: Velociraptor becomes extinct around this time.
- 70.6 MYA: Protoceratops becomes extinct around this time.
- 70 MYA: Majungasaurus, Alamosaurus, Therizinosaurus, Mononykus, Pachycephalosaurus, and Mosasaurus have evolved by this time. Pycnonemosaurus, Archaeornithomimus, and Gallimimus evolved and became extinct around this time.
- 69.9 MYA: Carnotaurus becomes extinct after this time.
- 69 MYA: Quilmesaurus becomes extinct after this time.
- 68.5 MYA: Pachyrhinosaurus becomes extinct after this time.
- 68 MYA: Ankylosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Stygimoloch, Dracorex, Torosaurus, and Triceratops have evolved by this time.
- 66 MYA: A mass extinction event occurs when a bolide (likely a comet or asteroid) collides with the southwestern Caribbean, near what is now the Yucatán Peninsula. Extreme volcanic activity contributes to the extinction event. All remaining non-avian dinosaur species, all of the pterosaurs, nearly all marine reptiles, and many species of other organisms become extinct. Overall, this extinction event causes the death of 75% of all species living at the time.
Neogene Period: Burdigalian Age
- 16 MYA: The earliest known great white shark is believed to have evolved by this time.
Quaternary Period: Gelasian Age
- 2.5 MYA: Smilodon has evolved by this time.
- Off the Pacific coast of Costa Rica, volcanic activity creates some small islands. The easternmost, isolated from the others, will come to be known as Guà-Si (or, to Westerners, Isla Nublar), while farther west a volcanic hotspot creates Las Cinco Muertes (the Muertes Archipelago to Westerners) over a period of time. Eventually, the islands will come to be inhabited by numerous plants and animals. These include indigenous species, such as the Nublar tufted deer.
- Because these islands formed from the Cocos Plate, they are probably about as old as Cocos Island, which is between 1.91 and 2.44 million years old.2
Quaternary Period: Ionian/Chibanian Age
- 781,000 BCE: Homo sapiens becomes prominent as a species around this time.
- 400,000 BCE: The woolly mammoth has evolved by this time.
- 13,000 BCE: The dog is fully domesticated. Humans may have formed partnerships with the dog thousands of years earlier than this, but by now selective breeding occurs. This selective breeding is the conceptual ancestor of the genetic engineering process.3
Quaternary Period: Tarantian Age
- 10,000 BCE: Smilodon becomes extinct after this time.
Quaternary Period: Greenlandian Age
Quaternary Period: Northgrippian Age
- 7500 BCE: The cat is domesticated.3
- 6000 BCE: The chicken may have been domesticated at this point.3
Quaternary Period: Meghalayan Age
- The Meghalayan Age begins 4,200 years before the present day (2250 BCE). All events in the timeline from this point onward until further notice occur in the Meghalayan Age and are listed under the year according to the Gregorian calendar. These dates are year CE unless otherwise specified.
- The woolly mammoth becomes extinct, relict populations surviving until now on Wrangel Island.
- At some point, indigenous people from Central America come to live on Isla Nublar. This includes a tribe of Bribri people, who are known as the Tun-Si tribe. They introduce goats to the island. They may have arrived as early as the first millennium BCE.4
- Mount Sibo erupts, though the event is not significant enough to threaten the island’s inhabitants. Following this date, it becomes dormant for 492 years.5
- Isla Nublar is discovered by Spanish carrack La Estrella under guidance of navigator Diego Fernandez. It is named Isla Nublar (meaning “Cloud Island”) by cartographer Nicolas de Huelva, possibly due to the clouds of black smoke emanating from Mount Sibo due to the recent eruption.5
- Some sources indicate that the Muertes Archipelago is discovered by Europeans this year; the date and other details of its discovery are disputed.6
- The woolly mammoth (Mammuthus primigenius) is scientifically described.7
- Plesiosaurus is described.
- Mosasaurus is described.
- Iguanodon is described.
- Smilodon is described.
- Troodon is described. It will eventually be considered dubious.
- Hadrosaurus is described.
- Compsognathus is described.
- Dimorphodon is described.
- DNA is discovered, though it will not be understood properly for decades.8
- Tylosaurus is described.
- Ophthalmosaurus is described.
- Pteranodon is described.
- Allosaurus is described.
- Apatosaurus is described.
- Dimetrodon is described, originally as a species of Clepsydrops.
- Stegosaurus is described.
- Diplodocus is described.
- Coelurus is described.
- Latest possible point in time for coast redwoods to have germinated on Isla Sorna, given that they were at adult size in 1997.9
- Ceratosaurus is described.
- Mixosaurus is described.
- Triceratops is described.
- Torosaurus is described. Some scientists will eventually consider it a form of Triceratops.
- Hoplitosaurus is described.
- Brachiosaurus is described.
- Tyrannosaurus is described.
- Ankylosaurus is described.
- Deinosuchus is described.
- Euoplocephalus is described.
- John Parker Alfred Hammond is born in Edinburgh, Scotland.6,10
- At one point, his year of birth was given as 1928. This has since been corrected.6
- Styracosaurus is described.
- Procompsognathus is described, to eventually be confused with Compsognathus.
- Corythosaurus is described.
- Spinosaurus is described.
- The San Diego Zoo opens in San Diego, CA. It will eventually be one of the inspirations for John Hammond’s future theme parks.11
- Edmontosaurus is described.
- Elaphrosaurus is described.
- March 31: Richard Kiley is born in Chicago, IL.12
- Parasaurolophus is described.
- Alamosaurus is described.
- Protoceratops is described.
- Velociraptor is described.
- The first form of reproductive cloning, called somatic-cell nuclear transfer, is performed using amphibian embryos.13
- Earliest possible birth year for Benjamin Lockwood, said to be “in his eighties” in 2018.14
- Sanjay Masrani is born in Bombay (Mumbai), British India.6
- January 16: Dian Fossey is born in San Francisco, California.12
- Nipponosaurus is described.
- Proceratosaurus is described.
- Segisaurus is described.
- April 8: Kofi Annan is born in Kumasi, Gold Coast.12
- Latest possible birth year for Benjamin Lockwood, said to be “in his eighties” in 2018.14
- Agujaceratops is described, originally as a species of Chasmosaurus.
- May 22: Bernard Shaw is born in Chicago, IL.12
- August 23: The Battle of Stalingrad begins. According to some historians, the Soviets used rats infected with tularemia against German troops led by Friedrich von Paulus. This instance of biological warfare was one example that inspired the later efforts of Eli Mills and Vic Hoskins to militarize animal life.15
- February 2: The Battle of Stalingrad ends.
- Pachycephalosaurus is described.
- March 24: Robert T. Bakker is born in Bergen County, NJ.12
- June 15: John “Jack” Robert Horner is born in Shelby, MT.12
- November 7: Costa Rica’s present-day Constitution is published. Costa Rica probably acquired Isla Nublar and the Muertes Archipelago sometime after this.16
- Pachyrhinosaurus is described.
- Microceratus is described, originally under the name Microceratops. However, the name had already been assigned to a wasp genus, which resulted in Microceratus being assigned a new name in 2008. InGen documents dated to 1993 list it as Microceratus, suggesting that the name was changed at an earlier date than in real life.5
- Mamenchisaurus is described.
- Therizinosaurus is described.
- December 24: Gregory Scott Paul is born in Washington, D.C.12
- Majungasaurus is described.
- June 29: Ian Malcolm and Edward Carr are both born this day.18
- July 17: Disneyland opens in Anaheim, CA. Its opening day is plagued by ride malfunctions and breakdowns, as well as other chaotic events. Despite its difficulties on the day it opened, it will become one of the world’s most successful theme parks and eventually inspire some aspects of John Hammond’s future theme park endeavors.11
- John Hammond mistakenly believed that Disneyland opened in 1956.17
- Approximate birth year for Peter Ludlow, described as “fortyish” in an earlier The Lost World: Jurassic Park script.18
- Approximate birth year for Alan Grant, said to be in his mid-thirties in the Jurassic Park script.17
- Possible birth year for Henry Wu, born in Ohio.14 This is based on the year he completed his graduate studies at MIT.
- Approximate birth year for Juanito Rostagno, said to be “thirty-ish” in the Jurassic Park script.17
- Herrerasaurus is described.
- Earliest possible birth year for Ellie Sattler, said to be in her late twenties in the Jurassic Park script.17
- March 21: SeaWorld San Diego opens in San Diego, CA. It will eventually be one of the inspirations for John Hammond’s animal parks.11
- Metriacanthosaurus is described.
- June 29: Nick Van Owen is born.18
- June 29: Sarah Harding is born to Gerry Harding and his first wife.18
- November 22: Philippa Thomas is born.12
- December: Dian Fossey begins her primatology research in the Virunga Mountains.11
- Simon Masrani born in Bombay (Mumbai), India to Sanjay Masrani.6
- John Hammond’s first animal preserve, dubbed “Animal Kingdom“, opens to the public in Nairobi, Kenya.6 Hammond hires Robert Muldoon as park warden.17
- Deinonychus is described.
- Dilophosaurus is described.
- Tenontosaurus is described.
- Gallimimus is described.
- Chaohusaurus is described.
- Archaeornithomimus is described.
- February 16: Masrani Global established by Sanjay Masrani with the founding of Mascom Network in Mumbai, India.5,6
- Sarah Harding encounters dangerous predators for the first time.18
- Spring: Eddie Carr finishes his undergraduate studies at the Michigan Institute of Technology with a bachelor’s degree in engineering.18
- International Genetic Technologies founded by John Parker Hammond in San Diego, California with locations in Palo Alto and Europe.19 Benjamin Lockwood was his partner in business.20
- Spring: Eddie Carr graduates from the Michigan Institute of Technology with a master’s degree in mechanical engineering and design.18
- Early Summer: Jessica Marie Harding is born to Gerry Harding and his second wife.21
- According to Nima Cruz, her daughter Atlanta is about the same age as Jess and so was born around this time.21
- Geosternbergia is decribed.
- Lesothosaurus is described.
- September: Assuming that he completed four academic years of undergraduate studies and four years of graduate studies, Henry Wu would have begun his education at MIT this year.
- Mascom unveils its concept for fiber-optic communications in the telecommunications network.5
- Spring: Ian Malcolm obtains a master’s degree in mathematical probabilities from New York State University.18
- Bernard Shaw becomes a news anchor for CNN.22
- Before June 11: Alexis Murphy is born to John Hammond’s daughter.17
- Before December 22: Owen Grady is born.23
- Nima Cruz says she and her father left Isla Nublar around this time. This predates InGen’s resettlement of the Tun-Si people by three or four years, depending on the exact date at which they left the island.21
- InGen signs a 99-year lease for Isla Sorna from the Costa Rican government.5,6 Isla Sorna had been the site of banana plantations prior to this date. The banana groves were left abandoned when InGen arrived.24
- The neighboring islands of the Muertes Archipelago are also included in the 99-year lease.5,6
- Spring: Assuming he began his undergraduate studies in 1978, Henry Wu would have completed them this year. He gained wide recognition for his undergraduate thesis.5
- Spring: Ian Malcolm obtains his first PhD from New York State University, a degree in statistical analysis and applied philosophies. He is now Dr. Malcolm.18
- September: Assuming he completed four years of graduate studies, Henry Wu would have began grad school at MIT this year in order to graduate in 1986.
- Mascom Telecommunications network launches in India.5,6
- Construction begins on Jurassic Park: San Diego.6
- Spring: Dr. Ian Malcolm obtains his second PhD only a year after his first. This degree is in advanced mathematical computations and is from the California Institute of Technology.18
- Stygimoloch is described.
- August 15: Maisie Lockwood is born to Benjamin Lockwood.20
- Karen Dearing is born before or during this year.25
- Hammond begins funding Dr. Alan Grant’s research at some point.17
- The first test fertilization of an artificial ovum by InGen at the Lockwood estate transpires successfully.6,14,20
- Tatsuo Technology is founded in Tokyo, Japan.5
- Before June 11: Tim Murphy is born to John Hammond’s daughter.17
- On or Before March 5: Isobel James is born.26
- InGen moves to be based out of Palo Alto.19
- According to the InGen Handbook that was offered with The Game, InGen was founded in 1985 out of Palo Alto, California with operations in Europe, South Pacific, and San Diego. This is overriden by data from the film canon, which establishes InGen as being founded in 1975 and moving to Palo Alto in 1985.
- Hammond hires paleogeneticist Dr. Laura Sorkin, according to the InGen Handbook. A graduate of University of California at Berkeley, she was instrumental in demonstrating that ancient DNA could be retrieved from amber.19 The first successful extraction was performed at Benjamin Lockwood’s residence.14,20
- Jurassic Park: San Diego is halted and indefinitely suspended at this time as Hammond decides to relocate to Isla Nublar, Costa Rica.6,18
- Nima Cruz’s father, a Tun-Si awa, is brought by the Costa Rican government to speak to InGen about Isla Nublar so that the government can ask for a higher price from InGen. Isla Nublar is then leased from the Costa Rican government, becoming a part of the 99-year lease InGen already has for Las Cinco Muertes. InGen offers to relocate the native peoples along with providing education and medical care and assistance. Oscar Morales participates in removing the remaining Tun-Si from Isla Nublar. The displaced locals are promised education, medicine, and housing by InGen and Costa Rica, but both benefactors fail to provide these services adequately.21
- On or Before February 21: Kelly Curtis Malcolm is born to Dr. Ian Malcolm18, one of three children from at least two marriages.17
- On or Before February 23: Claire Dearing is born.26
- Jess Harding sneaks into the tiger exhibit at the San Diego Zoo where her father works.21
- Carnotaurus is described.
- December 26: Dian Fossey is murdered by unknown assailants. Her research assistant Wayne McGuire is suspected of having killed her, but the true circumstances are still unknown.12
- Spring: Sarah Harding gains a bachelor’s degree in veterinary science/biology from New York State University.18
- Spring: Dr. Henry Wu graduates from MIT with a PhD in genetics. He is hired by InGen. Wu is eventually able to prove that splicing the ancient DNA with that of modern animals can create viable embryos at a much faster rate than Dr. Sorkin’s methods, which required the amassing of large amounts of amber to reconstruct complete genomes.5,6,21
- One of InGen’s major competitors, Mantah Corporation, has so far failed to perform de-extinction.27
- The first dinosaur, a Triceratops, is cloned on InGen’s facilities on Site B.6
- Originally, the first dinosaur ever cloned was said to be Velociraptor, but this has since been retroactively changed by updates to the film canon.
- Dialogue from The Evolution of Claire suggests that Brachiosaurus was among the first dinosaurs to be cloned. Two individuals named Olive and Agnes were said to be approaching their twenties as of August 2004. The earliest they could have hatched would be 1986, making them 18 at the time.26
- Dr. Wu creates a contingency plan in the event that animals escape from the facilities, inserting a faulty gene into their genome which causes them to become dependent on supplemental lysine in their food. Without this, the animals will become comatose and eventually die.17,21 This method is approved of by InGen, but vehemently opposed by Dr. Laura Sorkin. Despite her protests, all new InGen employees must agree to uphold the lysine contingency. The successes of Dr. Wu cause him to become favored over Dr. Sorkin.21
- Gerry Harding came to work at InGen some time after the lysine contingency was established.21
- American paleontologist Dr. Robert T. Bakker publishes his book, The Dinosaur Heresies: New Theories Unlocking the Mystery of the Dinosaurs and Their Extinction. It popularizes the idea that dinosaurs were warm-blooded, birdlike animals; this book becomes immensely popular among dinosaur enthusiasts.28
- Baryonyx is described.
- Approximate birth year for Amelia Everett, who is said to have been at the end of her late 20s by December 2015.39
- The last of the Tun-Si are resettled on the Costa Rican mainland.6
- On or Before February 21: Karen starts babysitting Ian Malcolm’s daughter Kelly, who is now two years old.18
- Construction of Jurassic Park on Isla Nublar begins.5,6
- Dr. Sorkin is granted her field lab on Isla Nublar in an effort to show she can still be of use by correcting Wu’s mistakes as a field scientist.19,21
- On or Before May 15: A female Tyrannosaurus rex is hatched on Site B. She is the first of her kind.5
- Spring: Sarah Harding gains a bachelor’s degree in cultural anthropology/genetics from New York State University. This is probably when she graduated.18
- First maturing animals moved from InGen’s Site B on Isla Sorna to the Jurassic Park: Isla Nublar. It is not known what exact dates most of the animals were moved. The first species cloned between 1986 and 1988 include at least Triceratops and Brachiosaurus. It is possible that Parasaurolophus may also have been introduced at this time.5,6
- Gregory S. Paul publishes Predatory Dinosaurs of the World, a book which will become highly influential to paleontologists such as Alan Grant.29
- A year-old Tyrannosaurus rex is introduced to Jurassic Park. The paddock is designed to hold one adult and one juvenile; it currently holds just one animal.6
- Between May 23 and July 18: Eric Kirby is born to Paul and Amanda Kirby in Enid, Oklahoma.24,30
- On or After February 23: Claire Dearing, now five years old, forgets her solo at a tap dance recital and freezes onstage. She was also a member of a local Girl Scout troop at some point during her early life, which allows children to join as young as five years old.26
- Eddie Carr studies computer design at the MIT Extension.18
- Spring: Sarah Harding obtains a master’s degree in paleontology/applied sciences from Johns Hopkins University.18
- September 20: Dr. Wu discovers that genetic structures in the yellow-banded poison dart frog (Dendrobates leucomelas) makes its DNA incompatible with some dinosaur genomes. While it successfully integrates into Dilophosaurus DNA, it failed in Velociraptor embryos 4x, 6x, and 7x, leading to death by karyolysis. This was remedied by Dr. Wu utilizing genes from the common reed frog (Hyperolius viridiflavus) instead.6
- This implies that Dilophosaurus and Velociraptor were created in or after 1991. Older versions of the Jurassic Park script imply that Gallimimus would have been created after this point as well. All of these species would eventually be introduced to Isla Nublar.
- Eventually, InGen would succeed in cloning a Tylosaurus. Independently, Dr. Sorkin would go on to create Troodon pectinodon at some point. They are assumed to have been created sometime in the early 1990s.19,21
- February 13: Henry Wu and Robert Muldoon observe high levels of collective intelligence in Velociraptor.6
- Sanjay Masrani dies aged 62. Simon Masrani succeeds his father as head of the company.5,6
- Sometime between now and 1993, Grant publishes his first book, Dinosaur Detectives, which recieves glowing reviews and raises him to become a nationally-respected figure in paleontological science.17,30
- Nick Van Owen attends the University of California at Berkeley to major in field journalism, but drops out to pursue his passion as an environmental activist. At the time he dropped out, his GPA was 3.8.18
- Herrerasaurus is first cloned by InGen by this point, most likely this year as all specimens were still juveniles by that summer. In addition, Jurassic Park: The Game suggests that Pteranodon longiceps hippocratesi had been cloned and introduced to Isla Nublar by this point. Some plants, such as a Cretaceous species of veriforman, were also cloned and introduced to the island.5,17,19,21
- Animals cloned by InGen by 1993, but not introduced to Isla Nublar, include Geosternbergia, Mamenchisaurus, Baryonyx, Carnotaurus, Pachycephalosaurus, Edmontosaurus, Stegosaurus, and possibly Apatosaurus. While Compsognathus had been cloned and was planned to be introduced to the Park eventually, it had already been introduced to Isla Nublar unintentionally at this point. The DNA of other species had been recovered, though many had yet to be cloned.5
- Henry Wu starts researching hybridization of different genera, based on his archived email about Karacosis wutansis dated 5/21/1997.6
- The Brachiosaurus Dot hatches by this time. It is not known if she ever lived on Isla Nublar during the old Park era.26
- At some point, Maisie Lockwood visits Jurassic Park. Eventually, John Hammond and Benjamin Lockwood part ways due to Lockwood’s interest in using InGen’s technology for human cloning.20 Despite this, the Lockwood Manor laboratory remains connected to the InGen network.39
- Jess Harding is caught shoplifting. Her mother concedes to let her spend a weekend with her father on Isla Nublar in the hopes that he can change her behavior.21
- A Velociraptor is introduced to the paddock, which already contains seven other animals. This newcomer attacks and kills all but two of the others, leaving a total of three. At some point, the raptors breed. The new alpha has her subordinates attack the electric fences when the feeders come, systematically attacking different points to test for weaknesses. The decision was eventually made to move these raptors to a holding pen for security reasons.17
- According to Jurassic Park: The Game, this incident resulted in Hammond bringing in a pack of replacement raptors from Site B, as well as deciding to use Herrerasaurus in what was originally going to be the raptor attraction.21
- May 24: An incident of unknown nature occurs at Jurassic Park’s geothermal power plant.21
- Early June: Building continues on Isla Nublar until Jophery, a gatekeeper, is killed by a Velociraptor during a transfer to the holding pen. Due to this incident, the Board of Directors demands an inquiry into the stability of the Park, including an endorsement tour including chaotician Dr. Ian Malcolm and paleontologist Dr. Alan Grant. According to the Tour The Island interactive site, a geologist was also planned to review the island (in particular the geothermal power plant), but Donald Gennaro advised against having the geologist invited.17
- Tour The Island also gives several other details about the Board’s review of the island at this time:31
- Species (IG74726f6f646f6e) is to be euthanized, all embryos and DNA shelved, and all records of its existence eliminated, regardless of Dr. Sorkin’s protests, as the species is dangerous and has no tourism appeal
- Dr. Sorkin is under review, pending possible reassignment to Site B population research and development
- Access to geothermal power plant control systems is to be restricted to trained personnel; the site is to be monitored for new magma vents as per Hammond’s insistence
- The Bone Shaker rollercoaster, while 90% complete, is scheduled for Phase II opening; Robert Muldoon’s concerns about proximity to the herrerasaur and raptor enclosures are taken into account, but security measures currently in place are deemed sufficient
- Marine facility scheduled for Phase II opening; marketing and public relations campaigns are ready for approval, marine biologists have been hired, and new safety protocols are in place
- Tour The Island also gives several other details about the Board’s review of the island at this time:31
- Early June: Donald Gennaro is meant to meet John Hammond at the Mano de Dios amber mine in the Dominican Republic, but as Hammond’s daughter is going through divorce proceedings, Hammond does not show. Instead, Gennaro meets the mine’s proprietor, Juanito Rostagno, to discuss the endorsement tour. Hammond has agreed to take his grandchildren to the island for the weekend to keep them away from the divorce proceedings.17
- June 7: John Hammond arrives in the Montana badlands to meet with Dr. Grant. While there, he also meets Dr. Sattler and invites her along as well, despite her not being on the list of invited experts. They agree to visit the island when he promises to continue funding their digs for a further three years.17
- June 10: Lewis Dodgson meets with disgruntled InGen programmer Dennis Nedry in San José, Costa Rica. Nedry has agreed to help Dodgson obtain stolen dinosaur embryos in exchange for $750,000 up front and a further $50,000 for each viable embryo.17
- June 11 through June 13: See 1993 Isla Nublar Incident.17,21
- After June 13: The incident at Isla Nublar starts the downward spiral of InGen. Sarah Harding ventures to see Dr. Malcolm in Costa Rica to see if the rumors of resurrected dinosaurs were true. He confirms that they are, and the two eventually form a romantic relationship.18
- Malcolm reaches out to his daughter Kelly and becomes more present in her life. They move to Austin, Texas where she helps him with his research; Harding becomes a maternal figure for Kelly after her biological mother moves to Paris, France without her.18
- InGen braces for Hurricane Clarissa, and proceeds to evacuate and close down operations on Site B later in 1993.18 During the evacuation, DNA samples of most species are recovered, but all Proceratosaurus DNA was lost.5 Hammond turns from capitalist to naturalist within the next four years, and eventually he falls ill and is bedridden by 1997.18
- The deaths of Donald Gennaro, Robert Muldoon, and Ray Arnold, despite being covered up by InGen, result in lawsuits from the victims’ families which push InGen toward bankruptcy.18
- Mononykus is described, originally under the name Mononychus. This name is preoccupied by a genus of beetle, and so the dinosaur’s name is changed within the year.
- May 12: Henry Wu has been shown evidence of the lysine contingency failing as well as nests where dinosaurs have bred. He suspects that common reed frog DNA may be to blame.5,6
- Spring: Dr. Sarah Harding completes graduate studies at Johns Hopkins University, graduating with a PhD in paleontology, specializing in genetics.18
- May 22: The bottle to the left here indicates some research was active on Isla Sorna, despite the island having been abandoned during Hurricane Clarissa the previous year. It is unknown to what extent any research was being carried out, but this specimen was taken from a Baryonyx.
- On or After July 18: At the age of five, Eric Kirby first expresses an interest in dinosaurs.24
- October 5: InGen publishes a report of dinosaur populations remaining on Isla Nublar, documenting proof that the Velociraptors have bred and that the lysine contingency failed to kill the remaining dinosaurs. They also discover that Compsognathus have established on Isla Nublar, likely having stowed away on ships while the Park was under construction.5,6
- On or Before February 23: Claire Dearing, as an eight-year-old, gets a pet blue-tongued skink. She names her Sally Ride, after the astronaut.26
- November: Henry Wu returns to Isla Nublar to assist the clean-up teams in cataloging the animals and to determine how they were breeding. He discovers that the DNA from the common reed frog, which he had used to fill gene sequence gaps in dinosaurian DNA, included genes that allowed protogyny as a response to life in a single-sex environment. All of the DNA samples on Isla Nublar were lost to sabotage, temperature exposure, and water damage.5,6
- December 14: Photo taken of Eddie Carr which is used by Hammond in his personnel file.18
- April 17: Photo taken of Nick Van Owen which is used by Hammond in his personnel file.18
- Henry Wu releases his book The Next Step: An Evolution of God’s Concepts. This book details his ambition for creating brand new species.5,6
- Ian Malcolm publicly breaks his nondisclosure agreement on a television interview about the 1993 incident. InGen representative Peter Ludlow begins a smear campaign against Malcolm, discrediting him in the eyes of many. The Costa Rican government, attempting to preserve their reputation as a tourist paradise, publishes a comment: “John Hammond and InGen’s work is filed under genetic research for an ecological preserve. There is no evidence or credibility to far-fetched claims of living dinosaurs.” Jurassic Park is dismissed as a hoax and Malcolm a fraud. He eventually loses his tenure at the University he works at for “allegedly” receiving money to spread rumors of dinosaurs, although he denied ever accepting any. Ludlow gets The Washington Post and Skeptical Inquirer to publish articles harshly ridiculing Malcolm’s claims that InGen has recreated dinosaurs.5,18
- Sometime after his television interview, Dr. Malcolm publishes a book entitled God Creates Dinosaurs.23
- According to an earlier script for Jurassic Park ///, this was the last year that Alan Grant saw his and Ellie Sattler’s pet blue-and-gold macaw Jack until 2001. This suggests that Grant and Sattler’s relationship ended at around this time.30
- As Jack was said to be able to speak when he and Grant last saw each other, this suggests that Jack was an adult by this year; blue-and-gold macaws mature over a period of several months, and so he may have hatched as late as 1995.
- Giganotosaurus is described.
- December 22: Most recent information update to Sarah Harding’s file on John Hammond’s personnel record. At this point in time, she is living at 31201 West 33rd Street, Apartment #301 in New York City, New York.18
- January 29: Photo is taken of Sarah Harding which Hammond obtains and uses for her personnel file.18
- March 19: Most recent update to Hammond’s profile on Nick Van Owen. At the time, Van Owen is living at 2578 Renata Circuit, Bungalow E, in Los Angeles, California.18
- Masrani Oil Industries is founded in Abu Dhabi, UAE.5,6
- Data Analysys is founded in Johannesberg, South Africa.5,6
- September 3: Photo taken of Dr. Ian Malcolm which will be used by John Hammond for his personnel file.
- December 7: InGen publishes an updated form of its asset catalogue, including dinosaur information. Population estimates are based off of the October 5, 1994 survey. The report has certain parts censored for security, including the investigation report detailing loss of DNA samples.5
- December 14/15: A British family on a yacht cruise eventually stumbles upon InGen’s Site B. The family’s young daughter, Cathy Bowman, is injured severely by a flock of Compsognathus. She recovers in a hospital, but the Bowmans sue InGen following the incident.18
- The incident with the Bowmans occurred between December 14 and December 15. Paul Bowman can be seen reading the weekend edition of the Financial Times with the headline Ghana’s Kofi Annan to become UN chief. Annan was selected as UN Secretary-General on December 13, 1996 and took office on January 1, 1997.
- January 1: Kofi Annan begins his time as the seventh Secretary-General of the United Nations.11
- On Isla Sorna, a new generation of dinosaurs has been bred in the wild, including a Tyrannosaurus and a Stegosaurus.18
- Due to the growing number of lawsuits aimed at InGen, the Board of Directors votes unanimously to depose John Hammond as CEO and President. Peter Ludlow succeeds Hammond and immediately begins making plans to save the company by raiding Site B for assets, using them to open Jurassic Park: San Diego.18
- February 3: Most recent update to Hammond’s personnel file on Eddie Carr. At this time, Carr is living at 3765 Harbor Boulevard in San Diego, California.18
- February: Sarah Harding meets with John Hammond, who is anticipating that InGen will soon pillage Site B for its dinosaurs. He sends Harding to Isla Sorna to document the dinosaurs in the wild, hoping to sway public opinion in favor of protecting the dinosaurs. Hammond also contacts documentarian Nick Van Owen and field equipment specialist Eddie Carr for the mission, and hopes that he can coerce Ian Malcolm into joining them. Meanwhile, Peter Ludlow plans his own expedition, hiring paleontologist Dr. Robert Burke, big game hunter Roland Tembo and his parter Ajay Sidhu, and Roland’s associate Dieter Stark.18
- February 21: Most recent update to Hammond’s personnel file on Dr. Malcolm; at this point Malcolm is living at 2625 2nd Avenue, Apartment #111, in New York City, New York. Possibly on this day, Hammond calls Dr. Malcolm to his residence and briefs him on the plan to document the dinosaurs and garner public support. Hammond’s team assembles within three hours and makes for Isla Sorna. Ludlow’s team embarks around the same time, taking the S.S. Venture.18
- February 21 through February 22: See 1997 Isla Sorna Incident.18
- February 23: See 1997 San Diego Incident.5,18
- On or After February 23: Claire Dearing, now twelve years old, is enthralled by the photographs of dinosaurs now surfacing in the news, despite many people calling it a nightmare situation. Similarly, Eric Kirby rewatches the footage of the San Diego incident many times and expresses an intense desire to see dinosaurs in the flesh. This is dismissed as unrealistic by most of his friends, who view him as strange for being excited about the ramifications of the San Diego incident.24,26
- Claire Dearing is gifted a hand-built telescope from her father.26
- May 21: Henry Wu and his research team at InGen have created a hybrid genus of flowering plant, Karacosis wutansis, which they present to the International Society of Geneticists. This accomplishment gains international media attention and sparks Simon Masrani’s interest in acquiring InGen. Hammond is not healthy enough to visit and see Wu’s success.5,6
- The US House Committee of Science begins reviewing the Ethical Negligence within Paleo-Genetic Resurrection Bill (ENPGR), which would extend endangered species rights to de-extinct animals, restrict access to the islands where these species live, and prohibit further de-extinction practices. John Hammond and InGen work on this bill as well.5
- Claire Dearing encounters a dog that is kept chained outside near her school by a warehouse owner in poor conditions. Animal Control claims that the conditions are not bad enough to allow them to take action, since the dog is fed and watered and has some shelter. With help from her father, Dearing maintains a photographic record and written log of the dog’s situation. Eventually, the owner leaves for two weeks and the dog goes hungry, which Dearing demonstrates to Animal Control. The dog is taken to a local rescue and rehabilitated. It is adopted by a family in Maine and named Roo; the family sends Dearing pictures of Roo every Christmas.26
- A bidding war for InGen begins, with the primary bidders being Masrani Global Corporation and Tatsuo Technology.5
- John Hammond passes away, aged 84. According to Simon Masrani, Hammond’s dying wish was for Masrani to take InGen and restore it.5,6,23
- The ENPGR Bill, better known as the Gene Guard Act, passes.5
- January 10: Simon Masrani plans a meeting with an undisclosed person for next Thursday regarding “the next ten years.”6
- January 15: Planned date for Simon Masrani’s meeting regarding the company’s future.6
- Charlie Degler is born to Ellie Sattler, who has since married Mark Degler.30
- Masrani Global Corporation officially acquires InGen.5,6
- According to promotional material in the Jurassic Park mobile games produced by Ludia, Inc., the acquisition became finalized on May 17. However, this is not corroborated by any hard canon materials.
- Within 100 days of the merger, InGen illegally restarts operations on Isla Sorna. It is not known if Simon Masrani was aware of this. Only a select few InGen members were involved, whose names are unknown. Over a period of nine months, animals were illegally bred on the island, including new species such as Spinosaurus, Ceratosaurus, Corythosaurus, and Ankylosaurus. These animals were experimented on during these nine months, and incubation was accomplished rapidly to avoid detection. The research and growth of these animals were filed under “Early R&D for Jurassic Park’s second incarnation” and simultaneously “Amalgam Testing.”5
- Wind power trials for Masrani Oil are successful, and the division begins using wind power.5
- Before August: A Brachiosaurus which will eventually be named Pearl hatches on Isla Sorna.26
- Jurassic World conceptual planning begins, with Masrani drawing experts from all over the company.5,6
- September or Later: In eighth grade, Claire Dearing creates a highly detailed Solar System model by painting her bedroom ceiling. She uses it for inspiration.26
- Suchomimus is described. InGen was in possession of Suchomimus DNA as early as 1993, and had identified the genus. Whether it was discovered by InGen scientists, or discovered independently by paleontologists at an earlier date than in real life, is not known.5
- InGen wraps up its illegal R&D and abandons its creations on Isla Sorna to fend for themselves.5
- The United Nations grants limited access to Isla Sorna to Masrani Global. Simon Masrani witnesses a newborn Parasaurolophus and is personally affected by it positively.6
- March 5: Richard Kiley passes away due to a bone marrow disease in Middletown, NY, aged 76.12
- Mascom obtains a satellite called Glinda, which serves to research dangerous low-pressure weather systems.5
- In high school, Claire Dearing volunteers at an animal shelter. At some point, the shelter takes in a feral dog missing her right eye. Dearing helps to rehabilitate the dog and wins its trust. Dearing’s mother ensures that they are slated to adopt the dog once it is ready, and they name her Earhart.26
- September: Latest possible date Karen Dearing could have moved away from home. During her first year away, her roommate is a very sexually active girl of city background. At some point, Claire Dearing tends to a wounded fox in her sister’s room, which frightens Karen’s roommate. The location is chosen partly as revenge for Karen being frequently locked out for her roommate’s sexual purposes.26
- October 23: Simon Masrani settles on a name for his resurrected Jurassic Park, deciding to call it “Jurassic World.”6
- On or Before December 21: Zach Mitchell is born to Karen and Scott Mitchell.23,26
- Axis Boulder Engineering is founded by Masrani Global Corporation in Dubai, UAE.5,6
- April 1: Masrani Global Corporation makes its NASDAQ market debut.5
- August 25: InGen researchers Bridges and Curtis use a prototype iron analyzer to confirm that viable DNA can be obtained from a Mosasaurus fossil.6
- December: Henry Wu is promoted to lead genetic biologist at InGen. Wu is brought into the Jurassic World project.5
- Stock in Masrani Oil has risen tenfold since its 1996 establishment.5
- Ellie Sattler and Mark Degler have had a second child.30
- March: Bernard Shaw retires from CNN.22
- On or Before May 15: A female Ankylosaurus has hatched on Isla Sorna.5
- May 23 to July 20: See 2001 Isla Sorna Incident.24,30
- InGen bribes government officials to bury certain parts of the survivors’ testimonies to avoid the illegal 1998-1999 operation being accidentally revealed to the public.5
- The loose Pteranodons that escaped from the aviary on Isla Sorna are sighted over Victoria, British Columbia. American security contractor Vic Hoskins is hired to clean up the reptiles. Following his success, he is hired as the new head of InGen Security.5,6
- On or Before February 23: Claire Dearing is gifted a plaid cashmere blanket scarf from her sister Karen for her sixteenth birthday.26
- Quilmesaurus is described.
- A complex viral marketing campaign, initially perpetrated by an unknown company, begins. Amber-capped paleontological tools are sent to people around the world, initially journalists, celebrities, and scientists, but eventually random people. No notes are attached, simply a card with a tyrannosaur skeleton stamped on. Over the next few weeks, two more mystery gifts are delivered to the recipients. The second contains a compass with a tyrannosaur skeleton imprinted on the back. The third contains a dinosaur tooth, a piece of parchment featuring an ink drawing of a gate, and a key which does not appear to fit any lock. Once of the recipients, the son of a Bolivian farmer, finds an indentation on the box lid and inserts the key; this activates a hologram chip that displays a message: They’re coming. March 30, 2005. This is displayed on YouTube, which leads to all the recipients unlocking their boxes’ holograms.26
- The day after the puzzle is solved, a press conference with Simon Masrani abruptly reveals plans for Jurassic World (the opening date, at one point, is incorrectly given as 2004). Promotional art for the Main Street area is shown.5,26
- Timack Construction is established in San José, Costa Rica specifically for construction of Jurassic World.5,6
- Early April: InGen Security lands on Isla Nublar and begins rounding up dinosaurs. Many of the dinosaurs, including the remaining brachiosaurs, are shipped to Isla Sorna and will be recollected when their habitats are constructed.6
- April 19: InGen Security recaptures the island’s Tyrannosaurus.6
- Jurassic World construction begins on Isla Nublar. Axis Boulder Engineering and Timack Construction are contracted for preparation and planning prior to construction. Construction materials cost 1.2 billion dollars.6
- October 6: Timack Construction surveys the island’s central valley.6
- Aucasaurus is described.
- Pycnonemosaurus is described.
- Before December 19: Brooklynn is born.27
- February 20: Henry Wu and his colleagues discover why their dinosaurs cannot grow feathers. The culprit is a null allele, a nonfunctional copy of a gene created by mutation; it was caused by the long-term manipulation of DNA in the animals and the inclusion of DNA from non-dinosaurian species.6
- March: A representative of Masrani Global Corporation (whose name has been omitted from all records) makes a case for watering down the Gene Guard Act. Specifically, the prohibition of cloning and genetic engineering new species is asked to be removed in order to allow further medical research that would benefit humans, dinosaurs, and other animals. The UHCS allows the rollback of restrictions, but key members of the board were bribed by InGen to arrive at this decision.5
- Following the Gene Guard Act’s revision by the UHCS, InGen under Masrani Global Corporation is able to develop new gene splicing techniques and begin creating new species for Jurassic World.5
- Medixal Health is established in New York, USA.5,6
- Drone footage of the under-construction Jurassic World leaks, including possible footage of the main gates.26
- September: Claire Dearing begins attending university, aiming for a political science degree as to be accepted into law school after graduation and eventually become a U.S. senator.26
- At some point, Claire Dearing has a brief relationship with a fellow student named Jackson. The young man makes frequent disparaging comments about Dearing’s choice in decoration and insults her pet lizard, which leads to her breaking off the relationship. He comes to her room to verbally attack her, but after Dearing’s roommate Regina makes a show of solidarity with her, Jackson avoids her on campus instead of harassing her further.26
- December: A secretive internship program for Jurassic World’s early stages is opened. Isobel James is among those selected for this classified operation. Wyatt, the son of a Masrani Global subsidiary board member, attempts to learn about the program from his father, who denies its existence; when his father leaves on business, he breaks into his office and records the names of the interns.26
- Scientists report a mysterious and alarming drop in dinosaur populations on Isla Sorna. Speculation on the cause includes territorial disputes, disease, poaching, or behavior patterns. However, the true cause (which would not be revealed until 2015) is the sudden influx of new animals cloned by InGen illegally on the island in 1999, which strained the ecosystem more than it was capable of handling.5,6,26
- Masrani Global Corporation begins shipping the surviving animals from Isla Sorna to Isla Nublar. The corporation is credited with saving the dinosaurs from death by ecological collapse, despite being covertly responsible for precipitating it.5,26
- January 15: A group of interns arrives to monitor the arrival of the two Brachiosaurus Olive and Agnes to Isla Nublar, including Isobel “Izzie” James. Herbivores are now being returned to what will become Gyrosphere Valley. Natural water sources are expanded, and a calcium-boosting chemical substance is added to the water to ensure the health of their bones and teeth. It reacts with the igneous rock left over from the 1525 eruption of Mount Sibo, the resulting compound causing a mutation in indigenous cyanobacteria in the water. The cyanobacteria become incredibly acidic.26
- January 31: Isobel James discovers a swelling on the neck of the Brachiosaurus Olive. She reports this to the head veterinarian Savannah, who dismisses it due to her dislike of James.26
- February 1: James measures the swelling on Olive’s neck and finds that it has increased in size. Worrying that it is a tumor, she reports it to Savannah’s assistant Dr. Tim O’Donnell. The park’s veterinary staff prepare for the first-ever surgery on a de-extinct animal. Savannah attempts to reprimand James for circumventing her authority, but this is interrupted by Simon Masrani. James spends the rest of the day hiding near the other brachiosaur Agnes.26
- February 2: Olive’s supposed tumor is found to be only an abscess, and is successfully removed by Jurassic World paleoveterinarians along with all infected tissue in her neck.26
- February 3: Olive will recover from her surgery in a quarantine pen. The other Brachiosaurus, Agnes, is found to have a similar abscess on her neck. It is caught early enough that sugery is not needed; the brachiosaurs are put on heavy regimens of antibiotics.26
- March 1: ACU test-drives gyrospheres in the central valley. Isobel James retrieves plant and cyanobacteria samples from Sector C of the valley, testing them for acidity. She discovers the acidic qualities of the cyanobacteria, but does not relay the information to her superiors because she violated protocol to obtain the samples.26
- March 4: Last known entry in Izzie James’s journal. It contains the usual feed and waste logs for Agnes and Olive.26
- March 5: A severe storm strikes Isla Nublar, forcing the island to be evacuated. Olive the brachiosaur is threatened when an overloaded fuse box blows out and starts a fire; as she is still recovering from surgery, smoke inhalation could kill her. Izzie James refuses to evacuate, manually opening the paddock to free Olive, and the boat is forced to leave without her; she is eventually found to have crashed her jeep on the way to the dock and died of her injuries. In Boston, an obituary is printed for Isobel James, though it claims she died “Sunday morning.” March 4, 2004 was a Thursday, which is most likely an error due to the obituary itself being misinformation as the cause of James’s death was covered up. Simon Masrani believed that this is what Izzie would have wanted, rather than risk a PR disaster and legal investigation slowing down the park’s development.26
- When rumors of the failed internship program surface online, Wyatt contacts some of the interns from his father’s list over the internet. Each of the supposed interns denies having ever been to Isla Nublar and claims to have interned at other companies, but Wyatt finds that all of these other companies are actually Masrani Global subsidiaries.26
- Between March 21 and March 28: Claire Dearing goes on spring break with her roommate and friend Regina. The latter intends to go bungee jumping, but Dearing does not participate.26
- Triceratops arrive from Isla Sorna. They are later found to have a bronchial affliction similar to that which affected the brachiosaurs; from this point onward all of the animals are given cocktails of antibiotics and steroids to combat the condition. This includes eggs.26
- Samsung sponsors Jurassic World’s Innovation Center.23,26
- Masrani Oil begins obtaining hydroelectric dams throughout Europe. The Schwarz Dam in Germany was obtained sometime shortly before 2014, so this process will continue for a decade at least.5
- Masrani Oil begins drilling for natural gas.5
- Two more brachiosaurs, an adolescent named Pearl and a young adult named Dot, are transported to Isla Nublar from Isla Sorna.26
- Simon Masrani initiates the Bright Minds internship program, selecting twelve young college students to intern at Jurassic World over the course of the summer. The program is overseen by Beverly Jamison.26
- The Jurassic World Aviary is still under construction; some of the Pteranodons have been able to escape by pecking holes in the structure, so a new type of polymer has to be engineered to contain them.5,26
- The patent for an innovative new vehicle created by Masrani Global Corporation, the gyrosphere, leak. There is much skepticism that the supposed leak is real.26
- June 8: James McClure of Mascom isolates an anomaly in the Jurassic World system, declaring that it is now watertight; he has Vic Hoskins check it over one more time.6
- August: Claire Dearing is accepted into Bright Minds shortly before the deadline.26
- August: Mosby Health, a rival corporation to Masrani Global, enlists Bright Minds intern Tanya Skye and her twin brother Eric to steal high-powered tranquilizer, fusion bandages, and security details from Isla Nublar in exchange for medical coverage for their younger sister Victory Skye’s heart condition.26
- August: The interns arrive in Costa Rica, boarding a ferry and traveling to Isla Nublar. At this point, the only dinosaurs officially on the island are Brachiosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Triceratops, Gallimimus, juvenile Ankylosaurus, one Tyrannosaurus, Dilophosaurus, and Compsognathus. Most of these animals are contained, but the compies are still free-roaming on the island. The sixteenth Triceratops is introduced to its habitat while the interns observe.26
- August: A Starbucks is under construction on Main Street, along with the monorail and most other buildings in the area. The Innovation Center’s holoscape is fully-functional by this point. Henry Wu receives a particularly unusual amber specimen from the end of the Cretaceous period which contains multiple DNA profiles; he reluctantly allows the Bright Minds interns into the laboratory to observe it. At the time, the eight species intended to be present in Jurassic World on opening day have already been created, but there are many on the “most wanted” list, including Baryonyx. This indicates that in addition to discovering new species, Dr. Wu intends to refine already-created species using new DNA samples.26
- August: The interns have been on the island for two weeks and continue to monitor the dinosaurs. The gyrospheres are put to the valley to assist in their intelligent learning program, so that they can recognize hazardous terrain and protect their users. Pearl is suggested by the current head of ACU to require isolation due to her playful behavior around gyrospheres.26
- August: Interns Claire Dearing and Tanya Skye are assigned by Dr. Wu to monitor Pteranodon longiceps masranii eggs and administer antibiotics and steroids to the embryos. These are to be the first new breeds of animal created for Jurassic World.26
- August: Claire Dearing and three of her fellow interns develop a positive reinforcement program for Pearl the brachiosaur, discouraging her from playing with gyrospheres by giving her more appealing toys. By this time, the Skye twins have sent some of the tranquilizer darts in the mail to Mosby Health, and Victory Skye begins receiving treatment for her heart condition free of charge.26
- September: A female Velociraptor antirrhopus nublarensis is introduced to Isla Nublar, the first of many. While it is being kept in quarantine, Tanya and Eric Skye release it by mistake, causing the death of intern Justin Hendricks. The twins are apprehended and the raptor is euthanized. The FDA plans to cut funding for the Mosby Health medical trials, but at Claire Dearing’s behest, Simon Masrani steps in to fund the trial to completion and also pay for Victory Skye’s future education. Claire also tells him about information she found from Izzie James’s journal, and he gives her an explanation of who Izzie was and how she died. Masrani invites Claire to stay at Jurassic World until opening day and also offers her a job opportunity in the future, which she accepts.26
- November: Small batches of tickets for Jurassic World are sold online, and Simon Masrani also holds lotteries where the winners win all-expenses-paid trips to the park. This is intended to discourage ticket scalping.26
- On or Before December 21: Gray Mitchell is born to Karen and Scott Mitchell.30
- Rugops is described.
- Jurassic World’s construction is complete.5,6
- Masrani Global Corporation signs an agreement with the Costa Rican Environmental Protection Society to protect the indigenous wildlife of Isla Nublar.5
- May 30: Jurassic World formally opens on Isla Nublar to 98,120 visitors in its first month. Simon Masrani thanks his employees for their effort in making it a success.5,6
- August: To commemorate her first year working at Jurassic World, Simon Masrani gifts Claire Dearing a number of trinkets including her original intern badge, Izzy James’s journal, postcards from her sister, and a cicada pin carved from amber originally given by her college roommate Regina.26
- Dracorex is described.
- December 31: Kofi Annan’s time as Secretary-General of the United Nations ends.11
- Mascom launches GPS navigation system ‘Centaurus’, utilizing five satellites.5
- Aerospace Dynamix is founded in Toulouse, France.5,6
- InGen Security, Mascom, and Aerospace Dynamix collaborate to develop drone technology.5
- On or Before May 15: A female Brachiosaurus hatches on Isla Nublar.5
- On or Before May 15: A female Mosasaurus maximus has been bred for the Jurassic World Lagoon.5,26
- On or Before May 15: A female Stegosaurus hatches in Jurassic World.5
- By this time, Claire Dearing is Jurassic World’s Senior Assets Manager.32
- January: Dr. Andrew French and Samuel Wood of the company Stemagen successfully create the first viable human embryos via cloning. The embryos develop to the blastocyst stage before being destroyed in the course of research.33
- April 4: Simon Masrani has a board meeting. The Board unanimously decides that it wants a new attraction to impress Jurassic World’s investors. Masrani and Claire Dearing authorize Henry Wu to create whatever it takes to accomplish this.5,6
- Henry Wu and the InGen genetics division begin working on Indominus rex.5,6
- June 31: Maisie Lockwood dies in a vehicle accident.20
- The date given is most likely an error, as June has only 30 days. The correct date was most likely intended to be June 30, but the intended date is currently unknown.
- July 5: The celebration of life for Maisie Lockwood is held starting at 9:00am at St. Anne’s Church.20
- Distraught at the death of his only child, Benjamin Lockwood turns to human cloning to bring his daughter back. Only his staff know about the clone’s existence, including Eli Mills and Iris Carroll.20
- Because the clone of Maisie Lockwood was nine years old as of June 22-23, 2018, she would have had to have been born on June 22, 2009 at the latest. Assuming a typical nine-month gestation period, Maisie would have had to have been cloned in early September 2008 at the very latest.
- According to Zach Mitchell, this was the last time Claire Dearing saw her nephews until 2015.23
- Peloroplites is described.
- April 9: A hybrid animal was hatched. Further information is restricted by Masrani Global.
- Note: All records of this event have been removed from the Masrani Backdoor website, indicating that it may not be canon.6
- On or Before May 15: A female Carnotaurus hatches on Isla Nublar.5
- With the announcement of the first official Carnotaurus destined for Jurassic World, the genetic engineering controversy is stirred up again. At a public lecture, a man named Jack asks Dr. Ian Malcolm whether he thinks genetic engineering should be banned, and Malcolm states that doing so would be impossible. Another audience member, computational genomicist Dr. Amelia Everett, converses with Dr. Malcolm about his book and whether it was known that Jurassic Park would fail; Malcolm states that he didn’t “know” this, just merely predicted it and saw his prediction proven accurate. He goes on to claim that concepts like fate and karma are explanations to instill a sense of meaning into a universe that is extremely difficult to predict. They end with the final question: whether the course of the future can be corrected.39
- June 6: Simon Masrani states that he believes Henry Wu has an answer as to where genetic engineering will go next.6
- On or Before June 22: A clone of Maisie Lockwood is born at Lockwood’s estate. The clone is also named Maisie, and will be raised as though she is Lockwood’s granddaughter.20
- On or Before May 15: A female Apatosaurus hatches in Jurassic World.5
- On or Before May 15: A female Baryonyx hatches in Jurassic World.5
- Sinoceratops is described.
- Concavenator is described.
- Kosmoceratops is described.
- Claire Dearing and Eli Mills meet at a fundraiser. Mills is currently managing Benjamin Lockwood’s estate as well as the Lockwood Foundation.20
- Tatsuo Technology is acquired by Masrani Global.5,6
- On or Before April 21: Kadasha is born to Mariana and her first husband.34
- On or Before May 15: A female Stygimoloch, nicknamed “Stiggy,” hatches on Isla Nublar.5
- Teratophoneus is described.
- October 28: A notice is pinned for North Mount Sibo Genetics Centre lab staff at 9:58am regarding the operating procedure for InGen’s CQS gene sequencers.
- An InGen facility called Martel comes under construction in Siberia in order to extract DNA from animal remains in the permafrost dated at 20,000 to 40,000 years ago.5,6,27
- The Mascom Tanius 6J smartphone launches.5
- The I.B.R.I.S. (Integrated Behavioral Raptor Intelligence Study) Project begins development under Hoskins’s guidance. Owen Grady is chosen to head this study. Subjects selected for the project are generally found to be too aggressive and unpredictable, however, and so new specimens must be engineered for it.5,6,20,23
- On or Before May 15: Blue hatches, followed by Delta, Echo, and then Charlie. Other theropods bred for IBRIS did not survive.5,20,23
- Since Blue was about eight weeks old as of IBRIS Day 176, she hatched about seventeen weeks into the program. The earliest she could have hatched, therefore, was late April (this being the case if IBRIS began on January 1).20
- A Troodon formosus named Jeanie is hatched at some point in time for a research program related to IBRIS. She is housed in Facility 4 and studied by Dr. Kate Walker, assisted by Dr. Martin Riley. Research into the emotional capacity of dinosaurs is accomplished using a device affectionately named the “Dino-Decoder.”35
- On or Before May 15: A female Pteranodon hatches in Jurassic World.5
- Two Indominus rex hatch in the Hammond Creation Lab.6,23
- Day 176 of IBRIS: Blue demonstrates clearly higher levels of emotional intelligence than her siblings, comforting Grady when he appears in distress (while her sister Delta attacks instead). Blue shows strong loyalty to Grady and has established herself as the leader of her sisters.20
- Because 2012 was a leap year, the 176th day of the year was June 24. Since IBRIS began in 2012, this is the earliest day on which this training session could have taken place. Blue and her sisters were about eight weeks old at this point in time, while the project itself was in its twenty-fifth week.20
- July 10: A project review meeting for an NMS project is held, with Dr. Wu and computational genomicist Dr. Amelia Everett in attendance. Earlier this week, Dr. Everett and her superior Dr. Svetlanda Mashir completed mapping the Velociraptor genome. The project is now proceeding with protein isolation and live trials; a specimen was recently hatched with genetic alterations resulting in elevated mesotocin levels. A/B testing is underway, and the specimen is responding well to its conditioning. Wu promotes Everett due to her success; she now reports directly to him, with Dr. Mashir out of the loop.39
- September 20: A notice is pinned for all Genomics staff at the NMS Centre at 11:36am regarding the protocols for entering Analysis.
- November 23: A notice is pinned for all Genomics staff at the NMS Centre at 16:35 regarding the protocols for exiting Analysis; from now on the server room foyer will remain locked by default to prevent re-entry. Employees must log out in order to open the exit.
- Masrani Oil is commissioned to build the Cerberus Array, a set of wind turbines, off the coast of the UK. The array powers 450MW of electricity from 120 turbines.5
- May 17: Owen Grady recognizes that the Velociraptor pack dynamic is more complicated than originally assumed. He requests that his old friend, Barry Sembène, be invited to join the project. Sembène soon arrives from France to Isla Nublar.6,20
- June 2: A review of the NMS behavioral genomics project is held between Drs. Wu and Everett at 11:00am. Masrani is excited by the progress made by Dr. Everett and has signed off on the operant security measures for a trial installation at the Center. He also signed off on their plans to inhibit the growth of two new raptors, provided that they, like the original from last year, are kept secret from the public.39
- Nasutoceratops is described.
- September 13: An email reply timestamped 19:35 from Jurassic World employee Carm Ricci to H. de Vries covers some new upcoming technologies in development at Masrani Global. The main focus is the Virtual Interface Assist, a kind of universal wrist-mounted remote that will permit employees to access many technologies remotely. Simon Masrani wants to roll these out to all his employees soon; a prototype has already been produced at the NMS Genetics Centre. One major criticism of the technology is that it enables one-click email access which allows all employees to see one another’s emails (therefore eliminating privacy). It is also highly expensive, and presents a security issue since anyone can access any terminal remotely at any time. Due to the issues surrounding the device, it falls into development limbo and is never cleared for production.39
- On or Before May 15: A female Gallimimus hatches in Jurassic World.5
- On or Before May 15: A female Sinoceratops hatches on Isla Nublar.5
- Masrani Oil begins development of 3-bladed wind turbines, with projected completion of 2016. Masrani Global is also commissioned to build wind turbines in South Africa, the Philippines, and southwest Australia. Aerospace Dynamix collaborates with them on this $48-million project.5
- July 2: A notice is pinned in the NMS laboratory system at 17:03, a summary of the AV conditioning trial results.39
- July 3: Simon Masrani attends a demonstratory incubation by NMS staff. Present are Drs. Wu and Everett; the latter does not bother introducing the former.39
- July 7: A review of the NMS behavioral genetics program is held between Dr. Wu and Dr. Everett. They discuss Simon Masrani’s presence at the recent incubation and the fact that Dr. Everett was not introduced, despite her exceptional performance working on non-coding identifiers. She is angry with Wu for leaving her anonymous.
- August: A hurricane in the East Pacific severely damages Masrani Oil’s Platform L-12, causing three of the legs to collapse and completely removing the derrick. Internal damage poses extreme threat to the rig’s crew, though no deaths are reported. A total of $12.5 million dollars in damage are caused.5
- October: Repairs begin on Platform L-12. Sixteen mooring lines will be installed to replace the original twelve, and the new lines are said to b 50% stronger than the old ones. Plans are in place to, five years from now, replace L-12 with a semisubmersible platform.5
- November 15: Martel is finally completed. It consists of a rotating crew of nine scientists and 45 excavation crew. The project was intended to last 18 months. The site drills into the glacial ice at 42 locations, and is believed to be situated over woolly mammoth carcasses preserved within.5,6,27
- InventiCon 2014 is held. At this event, Masrani Global Corporation unveils the XL25 wind turbine by Aerospace Dynamix, and the support this garners allows the project to move into Phase II.2
- December: The weather satellite Glinda is decommissioned, to be replaced by a new satellite called Ervic. While Glinda operated for 15 years, Ervic should last for 35 years. Glinda burns up in Earth’s high atmosphere over the Pacific Ocean.5
- December 24: Simon Masrani is booked for the next six months and will be unable to see the Indominus until afterward. He currently estimates May or early June.6
- InGen now houses world’s most complete genomic library.5,6
- Dreadnoughtus is described.
- January: Simon Masrani announces a $225 million boost to InGen funding, which will be distributed across the course of the next three years. Much of this will go to Security. He also publicly reveals Indominus rex, though most members of the public are not privy to the animal’s name or appearance. The Indominus is explicitly named and described on Masrani’s corporate blog and the Jurassic World website, but these appear to be limited-access sites since most of the public only knows that Jurassic World will be bringing a new theropod into the park by the end of the year. Still, this announcement causes ticket sales to skyrocket.5,27
- January 10: Vic Hoskins advises InGen Security that Mascom will be installing sensors in the north of Isla Nublar beyond the restricted area on January 30.6
- January 22: A pinned notice for all NMS Creation Lab staff is posted, timestamped 7:58, regarding the security modes (Night and Day Modes) in the laboratory with a reminder that it switches to Night at 7:00pm, and that the first person inside should switch it back to Day Mode manually.
- January 30: Mascom engineers install scanning hardware across northern Isla Nublar.6
- The weather satellite Ervic is put into orbit.5
- February 10: Dr. Everett posts a notice for the NMS lab staff about the space access keycard at 16:00, reminding staff that it is only to be used in case of emergency and not for replacing one’s own keycard; it should be returned at the end of the day.
- March: Masrani Oil and InGen enter talks about retrieving genetic material from a peat bog rich in carbon and iron in the UAE, dated to the late Cretaceous through the mid-Miocene. Henry Wu writes in a scientific journal that InGen’s genetic database could be used to help Medixal Health with disease research.5
- March: InventiCon 2015 takes place. Masrani Global Corporation has a larger presence this year, as Simon Masrani himself appears to demonstrate the virtual reality technology his companies are working on. The Mascom Tanius 7 smartphone is unveiled.5
- April: Masrani Oil is rebranded as “Masrani Energy” to reflect its trend toward sustainable technology.5
- April 15: Dr. Nikita Horn sends an email to NMS Incubation Lab crew at 14:50 regarding the new freezer filtration system, which connects the freezers via a vent and monitors both simultaneously. If the doors are not firmly shut, both freezers could be damaged.39
- April: Paleontologists discover evidence of intraspecific combat in theropods.36 An article on the topic is written by Dr. Alan Grant; it gains traction on the Jurassic World fan forum with users such as Darius Bowman. Since Darius shows such excitement about this discovery as well as the chance to visit Jurassic World, his father Frederick Bowman gives him a gift earlier than planned: matching Velociraptor tooth necklaces for both of them.27
- Karen Mitchell and Scott Mitchell begin their divorce proceedings. They do not tell their children, but Gray discovers it anyway by reading the mail and searching the internet for the names of the lawyers that are contacting the Mitchell parents.23
- April 27: Dr. Everett and S. Harris have an email conversation around 14:09 regarding an output error; CQS-27 is giving an unusual reading which Dr. Everett determines is due to an unfavorably high signal strength.
- May: Intended date for the completion of the Indominus paddock. It is unknown if it was completed on time.5
- May: Hatchery tours are given in Jurassic World. Darius Bowman and his father planned to visit Jurassic World at this point, but Mr. Bowman passed away due to an illness before they could make the trip.27
- May 23: Mia Everett meets with Simon Masrani in defiance of Dr. Wu’s orders, hoping to get recognition for her work. This ends up relaying details of her research with Wu to Masrani that Wu had hoped would remain confidential.39
- May 28: A notice is pinned to the NMS email system at 11:35am warning that only qualified technicians should be permitted to interact with the server room in any way, otherwise data corruption, fire, serious injury, and resultant legal action are likely.
- May 29: F. Stein sends an email to Hendrick de Vries at 16:20 regarding the newly-installed environment management system for the NMS Genome Lab’s Server Access room.
- May 30: Dr. Wu and Dr. Everett have their final meeting regarding the NMS raptor project. Everett denies having met with Masrani a week prior, though Wu does not believe her and assures her that the Board of Directors will be in touch if disciplinary action is deemed necessary. Wu demands an explanation as to why she went to Masrani, since Masrani does not understand the full implications of the research Wu is overseeing at the NMS Centre; again Everett expresses her desire to be recognized, and Wu rebukes her before storming out.
- June 15: Aiden Foster sends E. Durand to the secure warehouse, but does not give him the access code, instead claiming that he will discover it along the way. Durand emails Freya Jostad at 9:48 to ask her, suspecting that he is being hazed because he is new to the company. Similarly, Jostad does not give him the code, telling him he will “figure” it out by letting his imagination “soar.”39
- July: Intended date for the opening of the Indominus exhibit. By this time, the older of the two animals had cannibalized the younger. Due to the creature growing larger than expected, her exhibition was delayed until January of next year and the holding paddock had to be expanded. The animal also began to anticipate where her food would be delivered and almost tore off a worker’s arm during feeding time; Claire Dearing made the executive decision to feed it by crane instead to avoid similar incidents.23
- August 3: A monthly update is sent to the NMS staff by T. Fischer timestamped 17:12 regarding the altered raptors’ behavior. They have found that when raptors focus on their target, their peripheral awareness diminishes. These raptors also have a poor ability to detect concealed visual stimuli, unless their attention is drawn to it or the stimulus is directly ahead of them. Finally, the raptors have highly acute hearing, responding to and quickly locating any and all sounds within range.39
- The Guitierrez cattle ranch falls on economic difficulties. They are approached by undercover Mantah Corp. agents with a deal to save the ranch if their daughter, Sammy, steals trade secrets from InGen. The family declines this bribe, but Sammy reaches out to them afterward and accepts it. She becomes one of the Camp Cretaceous attendees with their help.27
- Jurassic World plans for the first year of Camp Cretaceous. Only six attendees will take part this December, with five of the six teenagers being influential or connected. A competition is held to select one random participant via VR video game; the winner is Darius Bowman. The camp’s head counsellor is Roxie, who is assisted by Dave.27
- August 22: The last part of an email conversation between Jules Montgomery and Luc Olivera is timestamped 22:41; it concerns Olivera’s request for time off, which he would have spent with Montgomery; his request was denied, and in order to avoid discussing the sensitive nature of his work, Olivera lies and claims he has met someone else. Montgomery blocks him.39
- August 23: An email conversation between Luc Olivera and B. Caravantes ends with its final reply timestamped 19:20; it involves Caravantes sending sympathies to Olivera’s unfortunate romantic situation with Montgomery and an invitation to go out for drinks.39
- September: Zia Rodriguez studied pre-veterinary medicine at the University of California at Berkeley, intending to become a paleoveterinarian for Jurassic World.5
- September: Intended release date for Mascom’s Tanius 7 smartphone.5
- September 3: Dr. Everett sends an email timestamped 13:15 to Morina Akiyama; it is a joke about fracal recursion.
- October 5: Park administration sends out a pinned notice timestamped 9:36 with an updated list of emergency contacts for the NMS Centre.39
- Kurt Reed is appointed Head of InGen Security’s Special Ops division, presumably by Vic Hoskins.35
- An incident occurs in which Jeanie escapes Facility 4 and enters Gyrosphere Valley, harassing a Triceratops and two tourists in a gyrosphere. The incident is resovled by Jeanie’s handlers and ACU under Kurt Reed.35
- November 17: Dr. Horn issues an email to the entire Incubation Lab staff at 15:37 regarding seedlings that have gone missing from Botanics, requesting that the thief return them in exchange for avoiding disciplinary measures.
- November 23: Dr. Mashir issues an email to the entire NMS Genome Lab staff at 9:36am regarding the analysis backup system, which is still experiencing failures of the overnight subroutines. Machines must be manually backed up until this is fixed.39
- November 27: M. Santos reports that the service elevator is stuck in safety mode and is not operating correctly. Jake Miller replies in an email timestamped 10:22 that he is on his way.39
- November 30: M. Santos sends an email timestamped 8:59 to Residence Security at the NMS Centre. It describes the maintenance staff who will be working on the Center’s geothermal power plant. Maintenance will be using the plant’s main entrance only, and Security is instructed to not give out December’s elevator access code.39
- December 4: Morina Akiyama sends a mass email to the NMS Genome Lab at 16:20 including information about an update to the sterilization firmware. The system now runs 15% faster and has an updated access code.
- December 10: Hendrick de Vries emails Dr. Horn at 16:54 at her request with means to keep lab data safe in the event of an island evacuation, including regularly changing passwords and PINs, removing sensitive data from all networked devices, and destroying all VI Assist devices.39
- December 16: A notice is posted to the Jurassic World email system by Josh Barnes, PhD, timestamped 14:40, regarding a lost plush in the Welcome Concourse of the NMS Centre. He claims he is asking for a friend, asking for the plush to be placed in the Supply Room if found.39
- December 18: Karena Ruotsalainen sends an email to the NMS Creation Lab staff at 15:33 regarding a lost soft toy which she intended to give to her nephew. She believes it was last in the lab’s changing rooms.39
- December 19: Six teenagers arrive at Ferry Landing for Camp Cretaceous: Kenji Kon, Sammy Guitierrez, Brooklynn, Yasmina Fadoula, Ben Pincus, and Darius Bowman. A minor incident occurs with a female Compsognathus escaping the Compy Pen. During the night, three campers (Darius, Kenji, and Brooklynn) trespass into the raptor training yard and are put in danger, rescued by Dave.27
- December 20: Darius and Kenji are assigned to shovel dinosaur dung rather than face expulsion from the island, while Brooklynn has gotten off with a warning. The remaining campers tour Dr. Wu’s field genetics laboratory in Sector 5, where they witness the female Ankylosaurus Bumpy hatch three weeks premature. Brooklynn and Sammy both separately investigate the lab for different reasons; Brooklynn is caught by Wu and the campers are kicked out of the lab. At the same time, Kenji offers Darius a view into the classified Carnotaurus paddock, where they have a run-in with one of the male carnotaurs which they nickname Toro. During the night, Sammy delivers a USB flash drive to a drone and to smuggle it off the island.27
- December 21: Dr. Ellie Sattler posts a new column about microfossils online.27
- December 21: The campers are given a tour of the Sector 5 herd using gyrospheres. A thunderstorm cuts the tour short and the counselors move to assist the Rangers. Lightning spooks one of the Sinoceratops, and the campers attempt to herd it back but cause a stampede; in the process the gyrosphere driven by Darius and Brooklynn lands in a deep mud pit and sinks. The other campers utilize a Sinoceratops to drag the sphere to safety, and Sammy takes a skin sample from the animal while no one is watching. While editing a video of the events, Brooklynn notices Sammy taking the skin sample in the background.27
- December 22 through December 23: See 2015 Isla Nublar Incident.5,23,27,35
- December 23: An email from A. Onsario to S. Harris timestamped 11:21 arrives; it was probably sent before the evacuation and was delayed due to technical issues during the incident and shutdown. The email is a notice that file compression has rendered the text on the schematic for the NMS power plant illegible. This is the third time Onsario has requested the schematic from Harris, and the maintenance team is said to be falling behind.
- Late December: Masrani Global COO Richard Wiesner sends an urgent memo throughout the corporation as he and the other remaining leaders attempt damage control after the incident. An emergency board meeting is held.5
- December 24: Date at which Simon Masrani would have obtained his helicopter pilot’s license.23
- Late December: Jeanie reproduces through parthenogenesis, laying two eggs without a mate. She is captured by InGen Security, taken to Chile for Kurt Reed’s branch of I.B.R.I.S.35
- Late December: Following the incident, Claire travels with Owen Grady, but the two eventually end their relationship and go separate ways. After this, she briefly moves back to Wisconsin to stay with the Mitchells. Eventually she moves out into an apartment on her own.20,26
- Late December: Claire Dearing speaks at a public testimonial regarding the incident at Jurassic World. She acknowledges that fallout from the disaster will spark outrage, but that this anger should not be directed at the animals. She speaks out against attempts at weaponizing the dinosaurs as InGen Security attempted. Henry Wu and InGen are under investigation for bioethical misconduct, but as Wu is nowhere to be found, he cannot represent himself. During the trial, a paper trail is uncovered leading to the discovery of corruption in the 2003 rollback of Gene Guard Act regulations. It is discovered that higher-up InGen members bribed the officials behind the rollback. An anonymous hacker under the username “JUR@55!_H@K3R” also leaks documents pertaining to the illegal creation of species prior to the rollback, finally revealing the real reason behind the ecological collapse on Isla Sorna in the early 2000s. Many of the responsible members of Masrani Global who engaged in corrupt practices are tracked down and arrested.5
- December 27: Email from A. Newman to T. Newman timestamped 12:03 reaches the NMS Centre, including a simple note from their son George. It also includes an access code for the elevator to the geothermal plant. The note was probably sent before the park’s evacuation on December 22, but was delayed due to technical issues and then the shutdown.
- December 28: The evacuation notice from Park Management reaches the NMS Centre at 16:59. This was probably intended to indicate the date of the incident, but in actuality, the park had been evacuated for six days at this point. It is possible the message was delayed due to the various technical issues the park experienced on the 22nd, and then due to the shutdown. A message between S. Harris and Dr. Everett regarding the evacuation and backing up the analysis system is timestamped 17:08. Another message, this one a conversation between Dr. Horn and Hendrick de Vries regarding the evacuation and the fate of hatchlings in the NMS nursery, is timestamped 17:26.
- March: The United States Congress opens up inquiries into bioethical misconduct performed by InGen and Dr. Henry Wu. Congress also opens up an inquiry as to the possible violation of the Gene Guard Act around this time. Some employees of Masrani Global Corporation step forward to present proof of corrupt practices. Wu’s laboratory is raided and all his assets are seized; he is also stripped of his credentials. He remains hidden from the authorities with the help of Eli Mills.5,20
- June: See 2016 Isla Nublar Incidents.20,35
- Using the recovered DNA sample, Wu is able to complete the miniaturized version of Indominus which he and Hoskins had been planning. It is accomplished by increasing the proportion of Velociraptor DNA incorporated into the genome, as well as adding genes from several new modern animals. The resultant hybrid genus is called Indoraptor.14,20
- Viavenator is described. InGen had already discovered this genus by the early 2010s.20
- Year by which Masrani Energy had hoped to mass-produce the first FAA-approved ethanol-blended airplane fuel.5
- February: A shift in the Cocos Plate opens fissures underneath Isla Nublar, causing Mount Sibo to become active for the first time since 1525. Plant life and other biological matter begins to combust in the region near the mountain as the temperature rises. The Costa Rican Institute for Volcanology (CRIV) reports that there is no threat to the island. The volcanic status level (VSL) of Mount Sibo currently is set at Magnitude 1.5
- March: Claire Dearing founds the Dinosaur Protection Group (DPG) in San Francisco’s Mission District. Around thirty volunteers have already joined, including Zia Rodriguez and former Jurassic World IT member Franklin Webb. Marches have been organized and Claire has contacted Congress in support of dinosaur rights. One of the marches takes place outside Masrani Global offices, demanding that action be taken to provide veterinary services to Isla Nublar; corporate officials state that they lack the resources.5
- Dennis and Mariana, parents to Kadasha and Mateo respectively, are married. They will have a child together within a year or so.34
- May: The Martel excavation concludes.5
- June: Mount Sibo’s VSL is set to Magnitude 2.5
- September: A helicopter flies illegally over Isla Nublar, approaching Mount Sibo. The passengers witness lava actively roiling within the mountain’s crater and report it to the authorities. The CRIV investigates using harmonic tremor readings, satellite thermal scans, and seismic equipment to determine that Mount Sibo is becoming more active. High-energy particle scans of the crust under the island reveal previously unknown high-pressure magma chambers. If the chambers were to be breached, a catastrophic eruption could occur, burning the entire island. The DPG begins planning a mission to evacuate the dinosaurs to safety.5
- October 5: Mount Sibo’s VSL is set to Magnitude 3.5
- December 8: The DPG website goes live.5
- December 21: Claire Dearing sends an email to the DPG’s followers, inviting them to support the cause further.37 The Costa Rican Department of Biological Preserves and local lifeguards are already willing to volunteer for the mission.5
- Original planned date for the opening of “Treetop Gazers,” a Jurassic World attraction that would have put Brachiosaurus on display.5
- January: The Costa Rican government pulls all remaining research teams and technology from the area near Isla Nublar as the eruption appears to be getting closer. It is predicted to occur on June 22 based on current data. Masrani Global has still made no effort to assist.5
- February 4: The DPG website is updated with content written by Claire Dearing, Franklin Webb, and Zia Rodriguez. Franklin Webb hacks the Jurassic World website, using it to further spread public awareness of the danger posed to Isla Nublar. By this time, dozens of dinosaur species have become extinct on the island, including Metriacanthosaurus and Edmontosaurus. The Mosasaurus is reported missing.5
- In the weeks following the hack of the Jurassic World site, all references to the mosasaur having escaped were scrubbed from the site, and its status was changed from “Missing” to “Endangered.” Later additions to the website would acknowledge that its status was unknown, despite avoiding directly stating that its location was also unknown.5
- February 8: The DPG has fully moved into the Mission District headquarters.5
- February 17-18: See February 2018 Isla Nublar Incident.
- February 23: Zia Rodriguez publishes an article on the DPG website covering the history of the Gene Guard Act.5
- March 5: The National Science Observer publishes an article in favor of Claire Dearing as an extinct-animal-rights activist. It is shared by the DPG.5
- March 22: Zia Rodriguez and Franklin Webb introduce themselves to the DPG’s followers in a new article.5
- March 26: The DPG’s Juliette C. publishes an article covering the history of Masrani Global Corporation, including the resignation of six board members over the past year (two of whom were indirectly responsible for the creation of the Indominus).5
- April 18: Increased activity is reported in and around Mount Sibo.37
- May 15: The DPG opens its “Adopt a Dinosaur” page to promote awareness and gather support.5
- June 1: Zia Rodriguez publishes an article on the DPG website, “The Importance of Paleo-Vets.”5
- June 5: Klayton S. publishes an article on the DPG website, “Saving the Carnivores of Isla Nublar.”5
- June 6: The DPG website opens a kids’ page.5
- June 9: Extinction Now! opens a website and starts a Twitter account to counteract the DPG. On the same day, the DPG released a video debunking some of the beliefs against saving the dinosaurs; the creation of Extinction Now! social media immediately afterward is likely not a coincidence. The DPG also posted thanking its contributors for their help, which led to the first public confrontation between the DPG and Extinction Now! social media accounts.37
- June 10: Increased activity is reported in and around Mount Sibo.37
- June 11: Ross S. of the DPG writes an article, “Investigation: The Old Park.” It finally discloses details to the public about the 1993 incident which had been hidden or skewed by InGen.5
- June 18: Emma E. of the DPG writes an article titled “The Sibo Effect” about the ecological effects Mount Sibo is having on the island. Based on scientific investigation by the DPG and the Phillane Institute of Volcanology, the eruption (initially predicted to occur the 22nd) could take place any time between two days and two months from today.5
- June 22: The CRIV upgrades Mount Sibo’s VSL to 4.5
- June 22 through June 25: See June 2018 Isla Nublar Incident and 2018 Lockwood Manor Incident.20
- Claire publishes an article on the DPG website, entitled “New Developments…”, following her meeting with Benjamin Lockwood on June 22.5
- Dr. Ian Malcolm is called before Congress to testify a second time regarding the Lockwood Estate incident.20
- A Baryonyx and case full of dinosaur DNA samples are transported out of the United States to Russia via airplane.20
- A juvenile Allosaurus and three other unknown cargoes are transported through Monument Valley, Utah via truck convoy to an unknown destination.20
- Dinosaur-rights protests occur outside the Capitol Building in Washington, D.C.38
- The Mosasaurus is recorded in the Hawaiian Archipelago, where it allegedly causes the death of a male surfer on the North Shore of O’ahu during the Big Wave Surfing Competition. It attacks a second surfer during a breaking news report on the incident, prompting the evacuation of the beach. This incident is reported on by Bo Kalani and Rebecca Ryan, in addition to dozens of social media users.20,38
- Compsognathus are recorded near the home of an elderly man. It is unclear if they were hunting or stalking him.38
- A flock of Pteranodons is recorded flanking a passenger jet, behaving in a threatening manner.38
- Park rangers, presumably in rural California, are recorded encountering a Stegosaurus on the job. A minor conflict ensues, ending with the animal chasing the rangers.38
- July: Pteranodons are sighted diving into Lake Mead in Nevada.38
- July: The United States Emergency Broadcast System issues a nationwide emergency alert. Details about the event which prompted this are currently only speculative, but it is assumed to be related to Pteranodon migration. Rebecca Ryan’s husband, a U.S. Department of Wildlife employee in northern California, witnesses a territorial conflict between a Triceratops and an Ankylosaurus while responding to a call from a nearby zoo. The Tyrannosaurus is found to have broken into the zoo, engaging in a territorial display against the facility’s pride of lions. Zookeepers usher the cats and visitors to safety while local and national authorities herd the tyrannosaur into a nearby ravine outside the zoo; it flees into the pine forests nearby with the authorities in pursuit.20,38
- Based on a calendar seen in the Jurassic World motion comic, this took place during a month that began on a Sunday; this places it in July. It is said to be on a weekday, later in the week.
- The night after the incident involving the tyrannosaur at the zoo, three female Pteranodons are sighted at the Vegas Strip in Las Vegas, Nevada. A man is attacked during the incident, sustaining potentially fatal injuries when dropped into a fountain during a squabble between pterosaurs.20,38
- Owen Grady and Claire Dearing travel north along the Pacific coast with Maisie Lockwood. They sight three female Pteranodons traveling in the same direction.20
- Blue arrives near Simi Valley, California.20
- August 18: Kofi Annan passes away in Bern, Switzerland, aged 80.12
- September 9: Planned date for supporters of the Defend Isla Nublar Organization (DINO), working with the DPG, to meet at the DPG’s Mission District headquarters for transport to Washington, D.C.5
- September 10: Planned date for a march on Capitol Hill carried out by DINO and the DPG to attempt to gain support from the US government to save Isla Nublar. The march would start at 6am on the corner of 12th Street SW. As Mount Sibo had already erupted by this time, it is unlikely that the march took place.5
- Three Compsognathus are sighted on a ranch in the American West. They are filmed chasing a young child, though it does not appear to be predatory behavior.34
- March 10: A Stegosaurus wanders onto the Angeles Crest Highway. At 3:09pm local time, it causes a vehicular accident in which a car goes off the road.34
- Unconfirmed dinosaur sightings are reported from near a school in Oakland, California.34
- April 21: One of the escaped female Allosaurus, now fully grown, and a Nasutoceratops family are involved in an incident at Big Rock National Park in which they threaten campers. The incident also confirms the first-known dinosaur hatched on U.S. soil since the release of the animals into the wild. Following the incident, the U.S. Department of Wildlife begins tracking the allosaur’s location.34,38
- April 22: While reporting on the Big Rock incident on-site, Rebecca Ryan becomes involved in the event’s aftermath as she finds herself in between the Allosaurus and the USDW helicopter pursuing it. The results of this encounter are currently unknown, though her crew’s news van suffered serious, likely permanent damage.38
- A Parasaurolophus is filmed near White River in Arkansas. Flyfishers are filmed approaching it. Because of the distance between the Lockwood estate and White River, it is assumed that this parasaur was transported here deliberately after being purchased at auction in 2018.34
- While filming great white sharks hunting fur seals off the coast of New Zealand, boaters also film the Mosasaurus as it hunts for prey. It is recorded feeding on a great white shark which had just captured a fur seal.34
- Wedding guests catch on film a hunting Pteranodon, which had been attracted to the doves released during the ceremony and preyed upon one.34
- Planned date for the replacement of Masrani Energy’s Platform L-12 with a semisubmersible platform.5
- Planned decommission date for the Mascom weather satellite Ervic.5
- InGen’s 99-year lease on the Muertes Archipelago expires.5,6
1All times at which certain species evolved or became extinct are taken from the geological record.
2The geological ages of Isla Nublar and the Muertes Archipelago are estimated based on the age of Cocos Island, which is located on the same tectonic plate.
3Bioarchaeological evidence confirms the domestication of these animals at this point in time.
4Both archaeological remains and oral history confirm that the Bribri people have lived in Costa Rica since at least this point in time.
5This information is provided on the viral websites associated with the Jurassic World films.
6This information can be accessed in the backdoor terminal of the Masrani Global Corporation website.
7All dates at which species were scientifically described are taken from the historic paleontological records in which the species’ discovery is documented.
8DNA was first isolated in 1869 by physician Friedrich Miescher. At that time, he referred to the substance as nuclein. The structure, identity, and function of DNA were not yet understood.
9The coast redwood can exceed 60 feet in height after only twenty years, but the full-sized trees seen as of 1997 would have needed longer to grow this large.
10John Hammond’s year of birth was originally given on the neopaleontology timeline shown in the Samsung Innovation Center. It was given as 1928 on the backdoor terminal of the Masrani website, but this error has since been corrected.
11Official date on public record in real life.
12Dates given on birth/death certificates in real life.
13Embryologist Hans Spemann and his student Hilde Mangold performed the first somatic-cell nuclear transfer procedure using frog embryos in 1928, a crucial step in the invention of artificial cloning.
14Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Survival Guide (2018)
15The Soviet Biological Weapons Program: A History, Milton Leitenberg, Raymond A Zilinskas, Jens H Kuhn, 2012. Not mentioned by name in the film, but this is the original source for the idea that the Soviets used disease-bearing rats as weapons during the Battle of Stalingrad.
16Constitution of the Republic of Costa Rica
17Jurassic Park (1993). Date on which the film takes place is based on statements made in later marketing. The prologue scenes begin during the first week of June, with the film’s main events beginning on June 11.
18The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997). Date on which the film takes place has not yet been confirmed, but the video on Hammond’s computer reveals the earliest possible date of February 21, 1997. Jurassic-Pedia is using this date until better information is made available. The prologue takes place earlier, confirmed by an in-film newspaper as mid-December 1996, while some of the deleted scenes would take place in early 1997.
19InGen Employee Handbook (2011)
20Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018). Date on which the film takes place was confirmed during viral marketing, except for the prologue, which director Colin Trevorrow gave various dates for until finally settling on six months after the events of Jurassic World.
21Jurassic Park: The Game (2011). Date on which the game takes place is based on the film Jurassic Park.
22Official CNN records.
23Jurassic World (2015). Date on which the film takes place was confirmed to be during the winter holiday season in the film, and in December specifically in viral marketing. In-film evidence, specifically the phase of the moon seen in the film, was originally used to estimate the date as December 18; marketing for Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous has since given a concrete date for the film’s events, December 22. The brief prologue was not originally given a date, but was later confirmed in viral marketing to take place in 2012. Colin Trevorrow has referred to the film as a “week-after-Christmas movie,” but this is not a statement on the in-film date so much as it is probably a rejection of the film as belonging to the Christmas movie genre.
24Jurassic Park Adventures: Survivor (2001). Date on which the novelization takes place is based on the film Jurassic Park ///.
25Karen Dearing Mitchell was moved out of home and married before her sister Claire finished her freshman year of college in 2004, and had her first child in 1999. Because the legal age for marriage in the state of Vermont is 16, and assuming that Zach Mitchell was born to Karen after she was married, her date of birth cannot be any more recent than 1983. However, since she lived with a roommate in an apartment before her marriage, she was almost certainly born years earlier than this.
26The Evolution of Claire (2018). Date on which the book takes place is estimated based on dialogue in the narration. The book is said to begin nine months before Jurassic World’s opening day (aside from the opening narration, which is implied to take place in 2018), and since Jurassic World opened on May 30, 2005, this would place the book’s events at a starting date in August at the earliest. An exact day has not yet been given by Tess Sharpe; in fact, the timeline given by the book implies that the plot was intended to begin at the start of the American summer vacation season, and that the “nine months” statements may have been an unintended error on the part of the author. Jurassic-Pedia chooses to use the August date rather than the June date until Sharpe or another authority on the canon clears up the matter.
27Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous (2020-2021). Date on which the series takes place was originally based on the film Jurassic World, and marketing for Season 2 confirmed the exact date of the main events of Season 1 to be December 22.
28The Dinosaur Heresies: New Theories Unlocking the Mystery of the Dinosaurs and Their Extinction, Robert T. Bakker, 1986
29Predatory Dinosaurs of the World, Gregory S. Paul, 1988
30Jurassic Park /// (2001). Date on which the film takes place is based on the date on which the film was released.
31Tour The Island website
32According to a 2015 interview with director Colin Trevorrow, Claire Dearing has been the Senior Assets Manager of Jurassic World since 2007.
34Jurassic World: Battle at Big Rock (2019). Date on which the film takes place is based on in-film evidence. It is said to be a holiday weekend in the year following the Lockwood Estate incident in 2018, and the character Greg states that there will be a meteor shower. In 2019, the only weekend holidays with meteor showers taking place were Easter and Cinco de Mayo, the former of which is generally considered a more family-oriented holiday in the culture of the United States.
35Jurassic World Live Tour. Date on which the show takes place is estimated based on the film Jurassic World; official statements describe it as taking place six months later.
37Social media used by Universal Studios provides this information (primarily through the DPG and Extinction Now! accounts, which were most prominent on Twitter).
38Jurassic World Motion Comic (2019). Date on which the events of the comics take place are based on the film Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, in-comic evidence, and the short film Battle at Big Rock. Episode 1 takes place shortly after the Lockwood Estate incident, Episodes 2 and 3 take place in the following July, and Episode 4 takes place the day after the Big Rock incident.
39Jurassic World: Aftermath (2020-2021). Date on which the events of the game take place are confirmed in-game to be February 17-18, 2018. Note that some in-game dates are incorrect, since the game placed the events of the Jurassic World incident on December 28. While the actual date of December 22 was not confirmed until shortly before the game was released (and therefore might not have been disclosed to the game’s creators), the fact that Christmas music was playing in an airport in Jurassic World confirms that the film always did take place before Christmas Day.