Mattel Creations - Jurassic World the Gates Crowdfund

Come discuss the toys and other memorabilia available for the series as well as to talk with other collectors!
TyrannosaurTJ
Administrator
Favorite Jurassic Series Film: Jurassic World Dominion
Favorite prehistoric animal in the series: Tyrannosaurus
Favorite Jurassic Park/World toy: Hammond Collection Tyrannosaurus rex

Mattel Creations - Jurassic World the Gates Crowdfund

Post by TyrannosaurTJ »

Hey JurassicFam, We need some support. While $250 USD is a lot, if we can get a lot of backers (all 5.000) before July 11th, we will get an additional bonus (paddock signs!). What's more, here is that in order to make the set worth that price tag, we need 10,000 people to back this puppy. Yeah, it's a high-reach goal, but there's a lot that the gate does that makes it worthy of being awesome.

At the basics, this thing is tall and amazing and has a lot to offer. First, it is motorized and has the ability for a manual override to pose the doors. Second, there are a couple of different modes where it plays the main theme along with jungle ambient noises from day, night, and hurricane. Third, it has various flashing lights (torches, mini-spotlights, and fence lights). The gate itself takes 4 AA batteries to power it, but it has the option to plug in an AC adapter so it doesn't drain batteries. The explorer offers a bunch of detailing absent from the initial release and has RUBBER TIRES.

When we reach 6,000, we unlock the fence attachments and a more detailed Tim figure. The fences are elastic, and you can actually attach Tim to the fence. Also, they have lights on them that work when you plug them into the gate.

At 8,000, we get a piece I personally feel sells this set for me completely, and that is the Buck. It is the male T. rex from the second film. He has his scars, resculpted head, neck, and feet to be more accurate to the animatronic plus high-quality paint apps. Why the Buck? It's been a highly requested figure by Mattel, and we are getting it now. Rexy has had multiple figures over the last couple of years, so it is nice for one of the other Rexes to get some love.

10,000 gets us, Lex, with a hat - so a new head sculpt like Tim, and more detailed paint apps like the detailing on her shirt from the standard Legacy collection release. Plus, a GOAT with a detachable leg. Some might argue this is the true star of this set!

So if we don't get this, we won't ever get another chance at something like this because like all crowd-funders if it doesn't reach the goal it means it won't be produced. So, If we can prove and show the power of fandom for a project like this, it is likely that there will be a bigger investment put towards the line for many years to come to keep us active and engaged. If you have the coin and a willingness to see these made, go ahead and support it here! We need to spare no expense!

jpgatecrowdfund.jpg
Dinos4Ever
Co-Administrator
Favorite Jurassic Series Film: The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Favorite prehistoric animal in the series: Male Tyrannosaurus rex
Favorite Jurassic Park/World toy: Thrasher T-Rex

Re: Mattel Creations - Jurassic World the Gates Crowdfund

Post by Dinos4Ever »

Really hope this can be made!

Do it for him!
SOMETHING HAS SURVIVED
Dinos4Ever
Co-Administrator

Post by Dinos4Ever »

A reminder of what happens if the crowdfunder fails:
SOMETHING HAS SURVIVED
TyrannosaurTJ
Administrator

Post by TyrannosaurTJ »

This is the article I wrote about the fandom's collective dissonance regarding how the only way for the series to remain in the public's eye and maintain any kind of relevance without additional media to sell it is to appeal to collectors and offer sets like the crowdfund.

https://www.jurassic-pedia.com/jurassic ... crowdfund/

I mean a lot of media series do survive as toy-collecting brands. Look at Transformers, My Little Pony, Masters of the Universe, and even Star Wars survives as a toy-collecting brand. Jurassic I used to think was capable of this, but with the response the fandom has given regarding the issue not so much. The fandom has shit the bed, along with that contaminating their food and water supplies as well.

Honestly, there may be problems with how Mattel has approached this situation, I personally think the tiers should have been price locked (you get what you pay for - you want more, pay them 250 to unlock everything), but the reality here is that when crowdfunding is here, the fandom should've done the proper thing and backed it if they were able, and for those that couldn't, they should have promoted it.

If you weren't happy about it, write a group-organized letter, talk to them, put it to the discussion, and give them feedback. By not crowdfunding it makes the brand seen as too high-risk. They're not going to understand the reasons for it not being funded if you don't at least tell them. Otherwise, it's going to be seen that the fandom couldn't give a rat's ass and the numbers, just aren't there. Even though fans have been insisting and asking for everything from large sauropod figures (like Brachiosaurus, Apatosaurus, Dreadnoughtus, and Mamchenisaurus = all one fandom has asked for and is on the way) to more playsets (this being one of those actually) and subsequently getting them. Also if you wish to hyper-fixate on the "rubber tires issue" I pointed out, let me just say if you knew any god damn thing about toy collecting you would know how rare it is for such a thing to be included on a damn toy in the first place.

I did both, I backed it and promoted it. I've been really upset about the lack of thought placed into the far-reaching consequences and the total disregard for brand sustainability. It's not that hard to deduce, that if it isn't funded the line is going to be seen as high-risk and even if it does survive, the line's quality and collector-based opportunities are gonna get skipped due to that. While I am pretty "mean" about it, I've also tried to phrase this nicely in numerous groups and other places since announced. I'm done with being nice about it. It seems that my being nice wasn't making the fandom aware of the reality or even the gravity of the situation.

Oh well.
Dinos4Ever
Co-Administrator

Post by Dinos4Ever »

SOMETHING HAS SURVIVED
TyrannosaurTJ
Administrator

Post by TyrannosaurTJ »

Mattel adjusted the goals,
Mattel Creations wrote:A minimum of 5,000 backers are needed to start making this set come to life. With additional backers, everyone gets even more figures and accessories to recreate the excitement.

At 5,000 backers, you unlock the Jurassic World motorized entrance gates, Ford Explorer #5, post-electrocution Tim figure, and two enclosure fences

At 6,000 backers, we’ll add the Hammond Collection “Buck” T. rex featured in The Lost World: Jurassic Park

At 8,000 backers, the set is complete with a Lex figure and goat with removable hind leg
No word on those paddock signs for the individual animal paddocks, but I'm guessing that boat sailed because of the fandom's lack of cohesion. Still, I hope we hit 8k in the next 8 days or otherwise squat.
Rexman97
Hatchling
Favorite Jurassic Series Film: Original 3 (JP3 has nostalgia for me)
Favorite prehistoric animal in the series: Spinosaurus
Favorite Jurassic Park/World toy: Bull T-Rex

Post by Rexman97 »

Man I really wanted this thing to be funded but it’s not looking good. I’m an avid collector and I’m also getting tired of the incessant negativity surrounding this. They certainly made some mistakes at the start but they at least seem to be trying to correct them. Hopefully things can make a big turnaround but without a deadline extension and massive communication surrounding the new tiers I’m not certain. How likely is it that they extend the deadline?
TyrannosaurTJ
Administrator

Post by TyrannosaurTJ »

I hope they do, but I don't feel optimistic. This was basically a test to show the durability and sustainability of the brand and the fandom has failed in that. So it might have far-reaching implications on the future of the toy line too, which will suck. Manufacturing Corporations, like Mattel, are like that and constantly make decisions based on the level of risk involved commercially for them. It's sorta why some toy lines underwent dead periods before they were shown to be sustaining. Star Wars and Transformers, specifically. GI Joe has had some recent issues with popularity as well even and Hasbro is using various crowdfund goals to sort of revive it.
TyrannosaurTJ
Administrator

Post by TyrannosaurTJ »

We got about three days left and it just now hit slightly over 1,500 backers. Unfortunately, unless Mattel extends the period needed and switches it to be that you get everything for 250 I don't think we're going to get this set and it is a damn shame because it was glorious and quite a toy engineering marvel. The Mattel panel at SDCC is suggesting they are trying to work to cultivate and court collectors for the Hammond Collection, so the belief that this line is going to end after this failure looks less likely. It can still happen if they feel sales are enough to sustain the brand and the collectors show they're not interested. They also attempt to appeal to the older kid crowd that enjoys dinosaurs. I hope the future for the line becomes more stable and I hope Mattel isn't discouraged by the failure of this crowdfunder. I also hope we get the Buck T-Rex in Hammond Collection form at some point.

Further, I would say (mostly do people being excessively shitty and overly entitled during all this) that those who funded should get a partial refund and a care package from some of the funds that include the Buck Rex, Lex and Tim figures, Goat (w/ dino-damage leg), and Paddock signs as a concessionary "thank you for attempting to help us. I doubt this will happen, but I think it would be appropriate for those that took a chance and reward them for their efforts. I personally wouldn't mind a trophy to shove in the idiot whiner's faces. I don't care how evil that sounds, but discouraging people by being awful and obstructing the matter deserves some sort of recompense if it were up to me.
TyrannosaurTJ
Administrator

Post by TyrannosaurTJ »

We've got about 13 hours left for the crowdfunding. Unfortunately, we're at around 1,566 backers when the goal to fund it is 5k and the goal to get everything that is being offered is 8k. If you've been waiting for the last minute it doesn't hurt to jump in, but for now, this has failed due to a lack of support. Syrret Tech makes some good points on Instagram about exactly why you should back Mattel. The link once again to jump in is here.